Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about fish allergy?

(5 Posts)
libertyboy Wed 12-Jul-17 21:56:54

To cut a long story short I've been on a bit of a quest these last 5 or so months, trying to determine what is triggering my now 14 month olds eczema.
Tested for coeliacs and also eliminated and re introduced the common triggers (dairy, eggs, soy). All didn't show anything obvious.

I have never thought of fish allergy as he's had and enjoyed fish since solids stage with no adverse reaction...or so I thought.
I make the kids salmon fillets now and again for dinner but the last few times he'd spat it out (also doing that with broccoli so thought fussiness setting in).
Tonight was salmon again but this dinner time he happened to just be in his nappy.
Fast forward to a toddler covered in spat out salmon on his skin and a breakout of angry hives where ever the food has fallen.
No swollen lips but the eczema in the creases of his arms and knees flared up too. The poor kid is given fish all the time, mackerel, tuna, fish fingers, sea bass...because it's healthy right? Now I feel terrible for not noticing sooner.
I guess my questions are, now what? Eliminate all fish and fish products then reintroduce different types? Can it be specific to one type of fish only?
I'll obviously see the doctor to have it confirmed but if it's anything like the coeliacs test it'll take ages so want to start doing something sooner rather than later.
Thanks in advance 🐟

OP’s posts: |
EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 23-Jul-17 20:29:31

Think the approach of cutting it out completely then reintroducing slowly seem sensible, a bit like the dairy ladder smile

Kimber2 Sun 23-Jul-17 21:20:10

Salmon, tuna and halibut are the most common kinds of finned fish to which people are allergic. More than half of all people who are allergic to one type of fish also are allergic to other fish. Some reactions can be very mild and involve only one system of the body, like hives on the skin. Other reactions can be more severe and involve more than one part of the body.So its best to avoid it for sometime at least until she is a bit older

babybarrister Tue 25-Jul-17 08:20:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

superoz Tue 25-Jul-17 22:49:11

My eldest dd is allergic to fish, as well as dairy, egg and nuts. She had different types of fish tested on skin prick testing - she is very allergic to cod and mackerel, less so for salmon, mussels and tuna in decreasing severity. Weirdly enough she is not allergic to prawns and can actually eat them.

Dd2 is able to eat salmon, tuna and cod. When I introduced it I only started with a mouthful to see if there was a reaction. I did give her a small amount of sea bass once and she came up with some bumps around her mouth so I haven't given that one since.

I would stop giving fish and see if your dc's skin improves first. Maybe it's worth Adkin your gp to refer for tests?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in