Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chest infections and dairy

(8 Posts)
Mrspopper Sun 28-May-17 08:53:30

I'm at a bit of a loss. 11 month old in hospital again with severe chest infection. We are awaiting firther investigations but if like to try and help her if I can. A few people have mentioned cutting out dairy so I'm wondering about trying this. I'm not keen to use too much soya so can anyone advice on what I could do? Thank you... be gentle... exhausted/worried mum x

tatohead Sun 28-May-17 09:06:03

If it is dairy causing an issue then soya will also likely cause issues too as it's a very similar protein structure. Usually children off dairy will use oat milk (and you if you're bf), coconut milk or almond milk. Avoid rice milk.

Best oat milk is the oatly that comes in a grey carton. You can find it in most supermarkets. You'll also need to use replacement butters (flora freedom is a good one) and avoid all hidden dairy (in biscuits, crisps, some bread, bakery products)

dementedpixie Sun 28-May-17 09:10:01

I don't think the milk substitutes are suitable for an 11 month old though. If you do cut out dairy please liaise with a doctor or dietician so that they don't miss out on vital nutrients

Mrspopper Sun 28-May-17 09:14:27

I'll ask to talk to dietician at the hospital she is in first. She's one in two weeks.

Mrspopper Sun 28-May-17 09:15:18

Thabks for the replies x

dementedpixie Sun 28-May-17 09:17:16

Some milk substitutes aren't suitable as a main drink until age 2 though and rice milk isn't ok under the age of 5

tatohead Sun 28-May-17 12:41:29

Yes they're ok as long as it's not the main drink. They can have it as a main drink at 12 months.

ineedanewbody Fri 02-Jun-17 10:53:58

Most aren't suitable as a main drink until 2 years old as they are the equivalent of semi-skimmed and children need full fat. Some are not fortified either so discuss with a HCP if you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now