Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a toddler all of a sudden develop a lactose or CMP intolerance??

(8 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Tue 23-May-17 23:31:24

Quick back story - DD is 2.7 and up until recently has suffered from constipation and withholding which she takes Movicol for. This works well and she has a regular bowel movement everyday when taking it.

9 days ago she started to get quite runny poos, at first I thought it was a bug as she was also sick sometimes (while pooing) but we are now going on to day 10 and it's not got any better (no Movicol since this started). I wouldn't go as far to say diarrhoea but very loose, messy and quite mucousy too. Can be anywhere from 4-7 times a day. She's otherwise well, no temp or signs she's ill. Still eating and drinking normally.

Took her to the Doctors after 5 days and he said to bring her back if it had been going on for 2-3 weeks for further investigation but because she's acting normal not to worry.

I'm now thinking it could even be an intolerance to something - she eats a lot of dairy - although she's never shown any intolerance before.

Can I just happen?

Or, is this just a normal bug and I should be grateful she's not acting unwell?? She's never had a tummy like this - it's usually the other way round!!!

dementedpixie Wed 24-May-17 11:52:45

You can get a temporary lactose intolerance after a tummy bug so maybe it's that

dementedpixie Wed 24-May-17 11:53:46

Children can also suffer from toddler diarrhoea which isn't related to intolerance too

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Thu 25-May-17 21:02:10

It's the mucus in the poo that would make me think CMPA.

tatohead Thu 25-May-17 21:30:22

Constipation is a cmpa symptom too so it could well be hat dairy is the culprit for her previous poo issues too

katsnmouse Thu 25-May-17 21:36:45

As pp said-CMPI can cause constipation as well as diarrhoea/mucous poop. This sounds exactly like my dd1- she developed eczema at about 2 yo, had constipation since about 18months and was on lactulose /movicol (depending on which gp saw her). Movicol was never reliable- we either had all or nothing iyswim. Bumped into a friend who suggested trying goats milk as different make up to cows milk- within 48hrs eczema gone and poops improved. Still have bad stretches but maybe try switching to goats or a plant based milk.

SleepForTheWeek Thu 25-May-17 23:09:52

Thank you everyone. We are getting much more solid poos now but still a bit mucousy, going to start her back on Movicol tomorrow before she starts withholding again.

She would be absolutely devastated if she couldnt take cows milk - cheese and milk are her life!

How long would a trial of dairy free show results?

tatohead Fri 26-May-17 17:46:43

It takes about 2-4 weeks for all the proteins to leave the system but could well see improvement in a week. My dd can tolerate goats milk too but it's not advised. I'd try her on oat milk - the grey oatly carton is good and is v similar to cows milk.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: