Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can contraceptive pill cause food intolerance?

(3 Posts)
Hayls17 Tue 16-May-17 14:59:22

Has anyone had any experience of the contraceptive pill causing food intolerance? For years I have had a food intolerance to many things, usually bread, pastry and sauces/gravy. However it was hit and miss, sometimes I could eat these foods without symptoms. When I had a reaction, it would range from just a mild tingle in my lower face that would last about 30 minutes after eating, to an extreme tingle in my face, runny eyes and tight throat that would last about 4 hours after eating. I noticed when I was pregnant that the symptoms subsided, and by about 4 months pregnant they disappeared completely. I'm now 4 weeks post birth and haven't had any symptoms since.

When I think back, I never had this as a child and it started in my late teens, around the same time I started taking the pill. I stopped taking the pill 3 months before I conceived. It seems too much of a coincidence that 9 years of reactions several times a week have suddenly vanished. I have googled and all I can find is that the pill can upset the yeast balance in your body. I'm guessing the kind of foods that gave me a reaction all contained yeast or yeast extract.

Does anyone know if this is a proven theory, or had any experience?

canteatcustard Tue 16-May-17 19:27:38

No, and have never heard of this connection.
things are change while pregnant and with each pregnancy. So I wouldnt think there was a link between the two.
Your gluten intolerance symptoms are different apart from the tight throat, from reflux.

any ceoliac in the family?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 21-May-17 19:46:21

I've not heard of it before either. Following with interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now