Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Handhold please antibiotic reactions

(7 Posts)
Madeyemoodysmum Thu 20-Apr-17 18:18:39

Dd has already had hives to penicillin
Last night reacted in the same way to clarithrmycin
I feel so down about it and worried about her antibiotic options in the future
Has anyone else got a child allergic to several antibiotic groups.
What happens if they really need antibiotics.
Luckily she seems better anyway in this instance but she has her whole life to deal with infections ahead of her.

KingIrving Thu 20-Apr-17 23:19:21

DS2 is severely allergic to penicillin. His face swells to such an extend he doesn't look human.
When he was younger we made several trips to Day Hospital to have him tested on several antibiotics to identify which were safe for him.We would stay there for 12 hours and increasing doses would be given to him every hour, such a a drop, 4 drops, a teaspoon all calculated in ml. Heart rate, blood pressure, oxygenation, everything was monitored, include whole body skin check. Funnily he would develop hives on his ankles. We were told skin reactions is unpleasant but doesn't prejudice the use for AB when the benefits are bigger, so having a rash or hives immediately or in the following week wasn't enough to ban a category of antibiotics. Angioedema on the other is a severe reaction which forbids the use of this AB.
So if he had a skin reaction to, let say erythromycin, the following week he would be given it again at stronger dose and then continuing at home and if the reaction is only hives or rash, it was green light.

I would strongly recommend to go through the process route. It is long and sometimes painful because it starts with blood test, then prick test and the last one is the stays in hospital.

I also take good care of every cut and scratch, as DS develops infections very easily (might be due to moving to Australia and having built is immune system in another part of the world with different bacteria and viruses)

Neolara Thu 20-Apr-17 23:22:57

Ds is allergic to penicillin we think. It's not a problem. He just gets prescribed different antibiotics which work fine.

KingIrving Fri 21-Apr-17 01:24:47

It might however become a problem. Specific antibiotics work better for specific illnesses and sometimes there isn't really an alternative. I am not talking about otitis or other mild infections. Think big and think in the long run when your DS is 20 and maybe travelling to India. Think about the deadly infection (meningitis, straphylo, e.coli, ...)

You must know if he is allergic for sure to penicillin because it is still one of the broadest and strongest. Antibiotic resistance is a reality and excluding a whole family of them could be detrimental.

You shouldn't only think he is allergic. Either he is or he isn't. The confirmation process is long but worth it.

Madeyemoodysmum Fri 21-Apr-17 09:43:48

Thanks for that information king
Are you in U.K. As when I mentioned allergy testing last time they were dismissive but I would like to push this further

KingIrving Fri 21-Apr-17 20:55:43

We are now in Australia, but the testing happened while we were living in Spain. I didn't request them, a very unpleasant paediatrician wanted to prescribe amoxillin to my son for a chest infection and when reading the prescription I pointed that he was allergic, she replied "says who? all those mothers saying their son is allergic. Are you a doctor?"
She then sent us for testing, a process that took quite a long time.
I am now grateful to her, but at that time, I was left speechless (probably because my Catalan was terrible!}

Madeyemoodysmum Fri 21-Apr-17 21:23:48

I doubt i would get that here in U.K. Unless we went private. Still will look into it for sure. Thanks for advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now