Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hospitals and gluten free food

(17 Posts)
Catlover1812 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:55:36

I'm 33 weeks pregnant with coeliac disease and wondering how this will be handled in hospital when I have the baby? Do you need to pre order gf food, or bring your own? Do they handle contamination well? I'll be at the Royal Free in Hampstead to be more specific. I'd be interested to hear your experiences (at Royal Free or any other hospital!) Thanks x

cookiecakez Wed 26-Apr-17 20:07:28

I would be so surprised if this wasn't sorted as hospitals of all places should understand the seriousness of c disease - you could check direct?

I have never ever been glutened from hospital food myself and always find it safe.

Good luck

Catlover1812 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:38:54

This is what I thought too but I've heard otherwise from people. I think I just need to bring my own in tbh. Thanks for the reply! X

firsttimekat Wed 26-Apr-17 21:52:36

Based on my experience in several hospitals with my egg allergic DS I'd say plan to take things with you or that someone can bring in for you and treat anything they are able to supply as a bonus.

It's ridiculous that this is the case and agree they should know better than others the consequences but take nothing for granted.

tigerdog Wed 26-Apr-17 21:58:48

I've had three operations in the last year (including two gynea ones at the women's hospital that also run maternity services) and in each case, they were unable to offer me anything gluten free for the post-op snack. I have had other two other procedures (in two different hospitals) where they did manage it but it took a while to conjour something up! So I'd say definitely take a supply of snacks just in case - gluten free porridge pots and some other gf cereal bars would probably be sensible.

cookiecakez Wed 26-Apr-17 22:06:17

Wow that is so appalling I guess I was very lucky with the hospital I stayed at they definitely had gluten free options everywhere and actually they had loads of good options for allergies and also diverse types of food. I look back on my meals there with fondness smile

Gosh - yes take in what you can and also get your partner to bring in something fresh for you - the last thing you need to worry about is being glutened or hungry

cookiecakez Wed 26-Apr-17 22:08:08

And just to add thinking about it the hospital I went to was oustanding and really caring by also very allergy aware - thankfully so yes best not to trust the hospital food otherwise

NorthernLurker Wed 26-Apr-17 22:10:06

My sister was in having a baby recently. She has coeliacs AND is dairy free due to migraine. It sounded like they fed her ok. I agree with taking snacks though.

eyespydreams Wed 26-Apr-17 22:11:32

I had virtually no decent gf food offered by hospital! They did toast my own gf bread for me in the mornings though the pets. Bring bread, gf porridge sachets, some nice snacks and yogurts etc. I brought some m&s soups for the evenings when whatever tragic offering they produced eventually for gf was too sad to eat.

JimWithTwoNoses Wed 26-Apr-17 22:18:43

Considering even getting a meal of any type is an ordeal at my local hospital I'd definitely take your own and anything else is a bonus. Shouldn't be the case of course, hospitals of all places should be more accomodating but in reality don't seem to be.
Good luck with your pregnancy and birth

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Wed 26-Apr-17 22:42:26

I have found GF snacks to be non existent but quite a decent selection of GF meals to choose from on the main menu (another big London hospital but not Royal Free).

Bumplovin Thu 27-Apr-17 00:28:38

Not quite the same but I had gestational diabetes and the food options were terrible I took my own snacks whenever I had to go to the hospital during my pregnancy

NewBallsPlease00 Thu 27-Apr-17 01:08:40

Take your own.... They were great- when it was normal hours and they could get something- but at 11pm-7am there was nothing except a banana available, they were extremely apologetic and very lively and helpful at 730am but it felt a long time and was v grateful for my random raisins etc always in my bag

AcrossthePond55 Thu 27-Apr-17 02:54:02

I was only in for one dinner and one breakfast. Dinner was plain pan-roast chicken, rice and ice cream, breakfast was scrambled eggs & potatoes. Very bland (salt and pepper only) but 'safe'. If I'm ever hospitalized again, I'll bring snacks and probably have DH bring me a burger for dinner!

tigerdog Thu 27-Apr-17 06:00:36

I forgot to say - one of my ops with no gf snack was in fact the Royal Free. In the end I think I had an apple! It may well be better if you're an inpatient though - I was a day case.

user1471537877 Thu 27-Apr-17 22:54:49

Tesco's do a range of gf ready meals that don't require refrigerating pasta with sauce, rice dishes etc

I'm due in hospital myself in 5 weeks and am just praying I can get away with being a day case as being a vegetarian and coeliac throws yet another spanner in the works

Catlover1812 Thu 27-Apr-17 23:07:52

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'm just going to have to stock up, which is fine, but not ideal! I imagine they aren't great with contamination too Good luck with your hospital stay x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now