Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can food allergies suddenly develop?

(5 Posts)
Rollonbedtime7pm Fri 14-Apr-17 20:55:36

My DD is nearly 1 and is covered in eczema at the moment. She has always had little patches but now it's all over her back and tummy. I put it down to her being run down after a prolonged period of bugs from the childminder's after I went back to work.

People are obsessed with suggesting food allergies. She was FF from 12 weeks and we did BLW and she ate everything without problems.

Could she really have just suddenly developed an allergy to say, milk, which might have caused the flare up?!

peripateticparents Sat 15-Apr-17 00:57:24

I know families with children who suddenly developed allergies, though generally at an older age (e.g. 7ish). Maybe you might like to consider trying an exclusion diet to see if it helps?

Onim141 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:27:22

The only way to determine for sure if the dairy is causing flare ups would be to record an accurate food diary. As a nutritionist, what would be recommended would be to take a food diary, and record what your child is eating. You can also track the time-lag between meals and symptoms. This may help the dietitian/doctor decide what exactly is going on. At least then you can be sure of what is definitely exacerbating symptoms. A good app that is built for just this is www.alliapp.com and is recommended by the NHS. Hope it helps!

IknowIAM1985 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:31:52

My niece developed a tree nut allergy on her 5th Birthday. Before that she had no issues at all. It was a full on 999 call. At the time (because she was at her own birthday party) they didn't know what the allergen was. Turns out it was cashew nut in the pesto sauce.

NuclearMumb Thu 20-Apr-17 23:22:47

Have you changed your washing powder recently? Got a new cat? The eczema could be caused by something external. My kids are both sensitive to washing softener and powder. My son also gets flare ups from eggs but the doctor should be able to test for this. I put my DD on a dairy free diet for a while when she was about 12 months but it didn't help. If you don't know what they might be sensitive to how do you decide what foods to cut out? Good luck, I hope you find something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now