Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD really suffering with hayfever

(10 Posts)
123rd Thu 13-Apr-17 12:39:41

Hi,

My DD is really suffering wth hayfever all ready this season. She is only 13 and last year started taking one a day loretadine (sp???) anti hay fever tab. The other type of tablets with them active ingredient beginning with "C" seems to make her worse.
I'm keeping her bedroom window closed. But her hobby is an outdoor one so I'm struggling to see what else we can do to help her

Any ideas please ??

dementedpixie Thu 13-Apr-17 16:27:29

Has she seen a gp? A nasal spray or eye drops could help too

Deux Thu 13-Apr-17 16:31:30

Eye drops worked really well for my DS. The GP also suggested splitting the maximum dose of antihistamine - one lot before school and one after. That combined with eye drops seemed to keep it at bay. I used liquid so maybe try that.

This is an area where pharmacists can really help so they might be able to suggest a regimen that would suit your DD.

muckypup73 Thu 13-Apr-17 16:32:12

There is only one hayfever tablet that works for my son he gets it prescribed by the doctor.

123rd Thu 13-Apr-17 16:54:20

I didn't even think about seeing the GP.. Thought they would just say take an anti histamine. I don't suffer myself so can only sympathise.
Think we will pop to pharmacy first, see if there is anything they suggest. Good idea about splitting the dose. She was really bad lay night at bed time-but we had been to the park for a long time yday.

JellySubmarine Tue 09-May-17 11:42:26

I suffer very badly with hayfever and have a combination of Telfast/Nasonex and eyedrops prescribed. Worth speaking to the GP

chloesmumtoo Wed 10-May-17 18:03:13

My dd has allergies to pollen so takes cetirizine but tends to suffer worse with her skin (hives and eczema flare) she does sneeze and get itchy eyes but skin is the worse symptom. Your dd may not suffer with skin issues but our tips are : ensure especially her bedding, pj's and towels are tumble dried rather than line drying out in pollens. Wash pe kit each time she has been on sports field. If real bad dry most of her clothing indoors where possible. Get her to shower for relief as pollens stick to body and especially hair. Keep windows closed. On sports fields get her to wear long sport leggings and long sleeve running/gym top to help barrier skin from direct contact to pollens, it does help. Remember pets can be covered in pollen too and bring it in the home so keep them out of bedrooms. Ensure you have a good vacuum with hepa filter to pick up and trap pollens.

chloesmumtoo Wed 10-May-17 18:27:14

My dd wears glasses anyway but they do recommend wearing sunglasses too to keep it out of eyes. My dd used to be prescribed eye drops from doctor when small.
Also replace your car pollen filters.
Definately showering and changing clothing after a long day out in pollens will be best bet, to remove it completely prior to bed time.

Generallyok Thu 11-May-17 22:05:15

Please take her to the GP as there are lots of medications for children's hayfever symptoms that you will not be able to buy over the counter because of her age but they can be prescribed. My son is 10 but has had hayfever since he was 2. He has had desensitisation treatment at St Thomas' hospital but also takes some good eye drops and can use steroid nasal sprays and steroid tablets if it gets really bad. Definitely agree with showering when coming indoors, all windows shut, no drying of washing outdoors . Also good wraparound sunglasses, caps or sun hats and Vaseline just inside nose to trap pollen.

LadyAntonia Fri 12-May-17 11:33:11

I aree Generallyok - I am a sufferer who has prescribed treatment for hayfever as it is so bad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now