Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Restaurants and allergen labelling.

(6 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 08:47:55

Please can someone talk me through the law? I went to a restaurant last night that had previously been very good. Last night I asked for the allergy menu and was told the allergens were labelled on the main menu, they weren't. So I asked what dishes were safe. The waitress disappeared to the kitchen. I ordered one she suggested and have been up all night with a reaction.

Luckily, I'm non-ige but I'm so, so pissed off about their casual attitude to allergies and the lack of an allergy menu that I want to complain, but need to know two things first. Do they have to have an allergy menu and who enforces the labelling of allergens?

Thanks in advance smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 09:39:03

Found the information I needed on the Food Standards Agency website and have reported the restaurant. Feel a little awful about reporting them but they really couldn't have cared less about allergens.

canteatcustard Sun 09-Apr-17 15:44:07

I am really glad you reported them.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Apr-17 17:53:22

Thanks canteat. DH is a bit shock about be reporting them, which surprises me when he's the one who had to share abed with me when I was rolling around all night grin

Not sure what happens next. Don't know if the local Environental Health go and visit and if so, if I'll receive an update. I certainly won't be going back to the restaurant to find out if things have improved.

canteatcustard Mon 10-Apr-17 15:37:16

is there any chance you could contact the anaphylaxis campaign and let them know how you get on?
Or ask for their advice if you need it?
The allergy regulations are law but many arent keeping up with the changes and any mistakes they make do need to be reported.
Recently a owner of a indian restaurant went to prison for 6 yrs after a mistake like this killed someone. So reporting this is very important.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Apr-17 19:21:48

I'll see if I get a response smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now