Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Orange Wig Day - 19th May

(18 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 05-Apr-17 13:58:12

I just wondered if anyone fancies doing something for Orange Wig Day to help raise awareness of anaphylaxis?

The Anaphylaxis Campaign has lots of information about how to involve schools etc which can be a useful indirect support for our DC

www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/fundraise/patient-orange-wig-day/

steppemum Wed 05-Apr-17 14:02:01

bloody hell, orange wig day organisers obviously didn't have a child with ginger hair did they?!!

pirsonal Wed 05-Apr-17 14:06:58

bloody hell...what next.

harverina Thu 06-Apr-17 18:20:57

I didn't realise it was so far away so might ask Dd's school if they will participate - even just wear orange to school day to raise awareness

harverina Thu 06-Apr-17 18:29:38

Have just emailed the school and asked if they could at least mention it at some point. Might buy a couple of wigs for us to wear

babybarrister Thu 06-Apr-17 18:33:57

Great

TheBlueDanube Thu 06-Apr-17 18:39:20

I have a child with curly ginger hair and hope to hope that our school won't take part. I spend lots of time improving her self esteem because she gets stared at, but no, turns out its all a big joke and other people should laugh at her.

Ill-judged. Wear orange by all means, but really, is this for real?

Would wear a black afro wig day be funny too?

babybarrister Thu 06-Apr-17 18:40:47

I have ginger hair and orange is the charity colour

TheBlueDanube Thu 06-Apr-17 19:05:27

Then perhaps you can imagine being 7 and being told by your classmates you don't have to wear a funny wig because your hair is so funny anyway its like that every day!

This is a gift for bullies and you're promoting it in schools!

I'm emailing the CEO.

steppemum Thu 06-Apr-17 22:14:58

totally agree bluedanube.

I have emailed the charity to complain. Got a bland email back, it is OK to have orange wigs because it is the charity's colour.
I used the example of a black afro wig, wouldn't be OK would it?

Really pisses me off that it is OK to laugh at ginger hair.

ds hair is literally bright orange, like the wig, I really hope his school doesn't participate.

Sorry OP, not what you wanted to hear, but really???? Think. It isn't hard.

Wear orange, orange hat, orange smilie face painted on your cheek, whatever, but orange wig? No way.

pirsonal Thu 06-Apr-17 22:51:53

I think some of you are being a bit "orange-ist" ! If it was a blonde curly wig should blondes be outraged? See what I mean?

I'm not upset at all about orange wigs. I'm annoyed because it's yet another day that someone feels we need to turn in to something where you do stupid things (like wear orange wigs)

steppemum Thu 06-Apr-17 22:54:45

But pirsonal, no-one laughs at blonde hair on a regular basis. No blonde kids get teased and picked because they have blonde hair. No blonde kids get their hair treated like a joke, because of its colour.

That argument is like saying I loved my golliwog as a child so there is nothing wrong with them!

babybarrister Fri 07-Apr-17 18:03:59

I have curly ginger hair tho! This is a very important awareness raising issue and you might also be more empathetic if you had a dc with anaphylaxis

canteatcustard Sun 09-Apr-17 15:46:21

I am getting my work to all wear orange wigs and of course I will be wearing mine all day.

steppemum Mon 10-Apr-17 15:07:14

baby - you can raise awareness without it being wigs - as I said upthread you could do orange Tshirts, orange face paints, orange, hats pretty much orange bloody anything.

Why is one person's awareness at the cost of someone else? Why can't we have both?
so, you have never encountered problems with curly ginger hair, good, I am genuinely pleased for you. but it doens't take much empathy to see that many do. I would also say that in my limited experience boys get a LOT more teasing and hassle for red hair than girls.

So, lets support dcs with anaphylaxis, without walking all over dc with red hair.

Not hard is it?

If it is suggested at my dcs school I will ask them to change it to orange hats.

canteatcustard Mon 10-Apr-17 15:41:45

The orange wig bears no resemblance to human hair imo. Its more like the clown from simpsons.
I wear my orange wig with great pride on the day.

babybarrister Mon 10-Apr-17 16:10:31

The eggs really are a fluorescent orange not a ginger I promise!

harverina Sat 15-Apr-17 16:34:40

My kids have red hair - eldest sis poker straight and youngest is curly. No way do they resemble the fake wigs.

anyway you don't need to wear the wig. You can wear anything orange - no need to make it into a big deal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now