Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Doctor won't give me an epi-pen

(9 Posts)
user1490961016 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:15:29

Hey guys,

I had the RAST allergy test the other month and it came back flagging up peanuts as something I'm allergic to.

I've never actually eaten peanuts (I'm 20 years-old), so I have no idea the extent of my allergy as the test cannot predict the symptoms apparently.

I asked to get an epi-pen, mainly for peace of mind. This is because (like anybody would be), I'm terrified of having an anaphylactic reaction and potentially dying because I wasn't given the medication I could possibly need. As well as this, I have a long history of anxiety. I know that anxiety is probably the main culprit here in regards to my worrying, but surely that's enough of a reason to prescribe someone?

I'm more than happy to pay for the medication myself, but I know that you still need a script from a doctor and if they're unwilling to do that for me, then I really don't know what I can do.

It's causing me a lot of issues since finding out - I'm scared to eat anything that says "may contain nuts" and I've been super aware when out in public that people around me have probably consumed nuts that day.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm the first to admit that I'm a hypochondriac, so when an actual allergy is diagnosed this just sends me off the scales.

Thanks guys smile

Megatherium Tue 04-Apr-17 08:21:06

Giving you an epipen when you don't need it would be way over the top, and I suspect the doctor is worried that you might use it wrongly if you just got into a panic. Pumping epinephrine into yourself when you don't need it really isn't a good idea.

If your allergy were life threatening, you would certainly know about it by now. You are highly likely to have had peanuts without knowing it as part of the ingredients of a dish, and you will certainly have frequently have come into contact with them via people who eat them, or who eat things like peanut butter. Just carry anti-histamine tablets around with you, it will be more than sufficient protection.

canteatcustard Tue 04-Apr-17 16:11:07

I take it that you have eaten peanut and had a reaction at some point in your life?
Other foods tested with the blood test?

Wolfiefan Tue 04-Apr-17 16:12:35

I very much doubt you have got to the age you have without coming into contact with peanut. (Even without eating peanuts themselves)
This sounds like your anxiety. Are you seeking treatment?

megletthesecond Tue 04-Apr-17 16:16:02

Was this done on the NHS? MY DS was given an epipen after an initial reaction and skin prick tests a few weeks later to establish what allergies he had.

Megatherium Tue 04-Apr-17 16:27:45

Prescribing guidelines show that an epipen prescription is recommended for people with a history of anaphylaxis, and may be recommended for someone with a history of generalised allergic reaction.

From what you say, OP, you don't have a history of either, otherwise you would definitely know what your reaction would be. Therefore prescribing an epipen is definitely contra-indicated.

Stormtreader Tue 04-Apr-17 16:33:24

Why did you have the RAST test?
The allergy UK website says that false positives are common in healthy people, diagnosing an allergy is done when someone has an allergic reaction.
www.allergyuk.org/diagnosis--testing-of-allergy/diagnosis-and-testing

user1490961016 Tue 04-Apr-17 16:35:14

canteatcustard: I may have had peanuts once in my life, over 10 years ago. I can't remember having any form of reaction, but since then I have had outbreaks of very bad hives and itchy, red skin for no apparent reason and the only common denominator is that every time I've been with friends who have eaten peanut-related foods - possible that I have shared drinks with people who've just eaten peanut butter etc.

Wolfiefan: I agree that most of it is probably anxiety, however I have actually been tested and been diagnosed with a peanut allergy so that part is not anxiety but a true allergy. They don't know the extent of it though which in itself is feeding into the anxiety.

megletthesecond: Yes, I got a RAST test done on the NHS. The main reason for me getting one was reactions to fruit which has been diagnosed now as oral allergy syndrome, but within that they tested me for nuts too and peanuts came back as positive. I didn't get offered a skin prick test though - did you have to specifically ask?

canteatcustard Tue 04-Apr-17 18:25:47

I think you are right to question the need for an auto injector, you have a positive rast, and history of hives etc from contact reactions.
you are an allergic person hence the oral allergy syndrome, which can have a wide range of response. You can develop an allergy at any age, so even if you feasted on peanuts, its still possible to have an allergy to them!
I recommend you try again with your GP, or try asking another GP in the surgery. I would also google the NICE guidelines on peanut allergy/ allergy and have a browse and if you think it might help print of a copy to take with you.
Ask for a referral to an adult allergy clinic so that you can be assessed by experts in the field regarding your risk of anaphylaxis.

I have no idea where you live, and access to an adult allergy clinic may be difficult, so i suggest you ring up the anaphylaxis campaign helpline for help/ advice.

Let us know how you get on. If I can think of anything else to help you I will post later.
good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now