Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Never abandon hope all who enter the dark gates of the allergy world ...!

(20 Posts)
babybarrister Thu 30-Mar-17 09:37:51

DS now 10. Highly, highly allergic child to various foods and animals - have had adrenaline prescribed since 3 months and have had to use numerous times with accompanying A & E visits [see various previous posts ..]

One of his allergies is cows' milk protein BUT just when we were giving up any hope of him ever being able to tolerate it he has passed a food challenge to Parmesan [it was chosen by hospital on the basis of it being a very hard and matured cheese rather than for its social cache !].

So the message must be that whilst it may seem that all is doom when your DC is the only one not to have outgrown an allergen by the age at which it is meant to have happened [I think 7 in the case of dairy], it can indeed happen.

Likeaninjanow Thu 30-Mar-17 10:00:49

What fantastic news - congratulations! I've read about your ds on here before, and my own ds is a very allergic 9 year old. This gives me some much needed hope smile.

Did he like the Parmesan?

babybarrister Thu 30-Mar-17 12:10:53

Thanks - loathed it when fed it on its own in chunks but seems to like it grated!

babybarrister Thu 30-Mar-17 15:08:20

have a look at the Over the Wall weekend for kids with allergies on the Anaphyalxis campaign website - my DS had great time on it

harverina Thu 30-Mar-17 18:30:48

Brilliant BabyB! I used to post on here a lot more until I became a member of some Facebook groups. I remember your son and some of his reactions.

So glad to hear that there is hope. Dd1 is 7 next week and allergies seem as bad as ever sad

megletthesecond Thu 30-Mar-17 18:34:53

That's good to hear. I know you've had a hell of a lot to deal with.

DS is 10 and I do hope that puberty reduces his two serious allergies (kiwi and pine nut). Here's to hormones smile.

babybarrister Thu 30-Mar-17 21:19:45

Thanks and I hope for the best for all of you too smile

Strokkur Mon 03-Apr-17 16:57:55

Oh this has cheered me up a lot. DD has much less serious reactions, but I was beginning to give up hope already on the CMPA front (at just 3.5). So many people tell you it should all be over by 2 or 3 -- I'd never heard 7. Good luck with the rest!

trixymalixy Mon 03-Apr-17 17:02:20

Oh that's amazing babybarrister!!

My DS is 10 too and I've given up hope of him growing out of any more of his allergies.

There is hope yet smile.

babybarrister Mon 03-Apr-17 19:52:50

hope springs eternal ....

please all of you with 9 and 10 year olds have a look at the Over the Wall charity camps - they are excellent and SAFE!

there is a lot of research going on into gut flora so one thing I have been doing is giving DS v high strength probiotics - I do not want to be pseudo scientific but I figured it cannot harm and possibly might help ...
there is also very interesting research going on into faecal transplants grin - I bet our DC would love that!

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4284325/#B97

anyway let's watch this space on the whole gut issue ....

trixymalixy Mon 03-Apr-17 20:39:25

We've just started giving DS and DD probiotics.
Which are you using BB?

trixymalixy Mon 03-Apr-17 20:42:34

I was thinking of getting DS involved in the gut project fundrazr.com/campaigns/4sSf3/ab/5qJ7f

babybarrister Tue 04-Apr-17 09:19:04

I am using udo choice junior blend but I really don't want to give anyone false hopes - it is something I am doing but currently there is no scientific proof behind it. I'll have a look at the link you sent - fancy over the wall weekend?!

trixymalixy Tue 04-Apr-17 09:41:24

Oh don't worry. I'm not expecting a magic cure!

I've had a look at those probiotics and some of it is from a dairy source. Was your DS anaphylactic to dairy?

trixymalixy Tue 04-Apr-17 09:42:02

I'd love DS to go on one of those weekends. He'd hate it though!

babybarrister Tue 04-Apr-17 09:49:47

Yes ds anaphylatic to dairy but OK with this one

peripateticparents Wed 05-Apr-17 03:25:37

Congratulations! We've also recently been able to introduce dairy and egg and wheat (at almost 5, despite failing them about 8 months prior). We were using symprove probiotics if anyone is looking for dairy free ( also they're not digested. In the stomach Iike a lot are). Still holding out hope for free nuts and peanuts to disappear too... thanks OP for giving us hope!

babybarrister Wed 05-Apr-17 13:55:13

hurray for us for dealing with these "challenges"!

harverina Thu 06-Apr-17 18:16:04

I've been looking into probiotics too - the Australian study mentioned a particular strain and I need to find one that is ok for egg and dairy allergies too...haven't looked properly yet. It's on my list of things to do over the next week!

peripateticparents Mon 10-Apr-17 04:55:45

Harverina, we had multiple other allergies too (incl dairy and soy) but symprove worked for us. You can start on the full dose for about a few weeks then drop right back to about a quarter dose for maintenance which helps. Can also be given to babies, but needs to be taken without any other food so the stomach acids don't start digesting them (like they do most probiotics). Their customer service was really helpful when I spoke with them to determine suitability and amounts for ds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now