Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Where does your school keep the epipens?

(8 Posts)
babybarrister Sun 05-Mar-17 11:42:56

Please go and check with your teachers as very sadly on Friday there appears to have been a fatality at a primary school which it appears was connected with the fact that the school kept the epipens in a locked cupboard somewhere. If this turns out to be the case then my understanding is that this is not the first time that there has been a school fatality in such circumstances.

INeedNewShoes Sun 05-Mar-17 19:11:48

Just commenting to bump the thread really.

My epipens were kept with me at all times from age 13 onwards. Before that I can't remember where they were kept before that.

As an adult I would never eat at a friend's house or restaurant without my epipens with me. The furthest away they ever are when I'm eating is in my handbag in the hallway at home or at a friend's house. They're never more than a minute away and all my friends know whereabouts in my handbag to find them.

I understand epipens needing to be kept safely out of reach at school but maybe there need to me multiple sets: one in the dining room, one in the classroom, one in the first aid room etc.

With anaphylaxis every minute spent hunting for the adrenaline injections is a minute too long.

greencybermummy Tue 07-Mar-17 20:01:42

Oh goodness. If that is the case how tragic. Unlocked here, one in class room and spare in school office with photo on the box of DD.
Always worth checking and reminding staff of importance.

MollyHuaCha Tue 07-Mar-17 21:08:32

How tragic. Also worth checking whether epipen is still in date.

NickMyLipple Tue 07-Mar-17 21:10:29

Is there a link to this story??

897654321abcvrufhfgg Tue 07-Mar-17 22:43:03

My son carries his in a bumbag round his waist. He is 6. All the meds r carried this way as it's a big school

babybarrister Wed 08-Mar-17 18:35:29

www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/2017/03/07/fatality-9-year-old-boy-friday-3rd-march-2017/

ArabellaRockerfella Sat 11-Mar-17 00:08:03

At my school the are in a bag on a hook in the classroom and the child carries them to lessons, assembly, lunch etc. This is from Reception - Yr 8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now