Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Screening for potential sugar allergy - can I do this?

(9 Posts)
BornStroppy Wed 22-Feb-17 21:13:58

My son has severe episodes of diahorrea after eating chocolate, which we now try to keep to a minimum. For example, this week, he nicked about 100g of dairy milk and was off school for four days.... i'm beginning to think he might have a sugar allergy. I have psoriasis and if i eat much sugar/wheat my skin gets very sore.

I'd like him to be screened for everything, looking really for a reliable test I can use, but would like to incorporate sugars? Or is this something that a naturopath can do for us?

RedBugMug Wed 22-Feb-17 21:16:32

no to charlatan naturopath.

tbh I would rather think the cocoa or soy than sugar is the culprit

BornStroppy Wed 22-Feb-17 22:37:42

No, the diahorrea started up again after I let him have a muffin.....yesterday. sugar was the only common factor and prior to that he'd been on dry toast/rice

I just want allergy test I guess

PacificDogwod Wed 22-Feb-17 22:39:17

How is he with milk/dairy products?
Could be a lactose intolerance - milk sugar.

Have you spoken to his GP?

reallyanotherone Wed 22-Feb-17 22:46:07

I'm not sure you can be allergic to "sugar".

Sugar in it's basic form, glucose, is manufactured by the body, is used by the brain and all body cells.

Allergies are the immune systems response to proteins, and sugar has no protein.

I'd see your gp and get a referral to an allergy clinic or a dietician.

hopeful31yrs Wed 22-Feb-17 22:49:22

As PP said. Sugar is not the culprit.

BornStroppy Thu 23-Feb-17 12:48:06

OK, Well I just want him to be tested, there is something causing this. Could anybody recommend a wide spectrum test i could order online or something?

BertrandRussell Thu 23-Feb-17 12:51:42

Go to your GP.

There are no proper allergy tests available online or administered by alternative therapists.

If he's had diahorrea for 4 days, and it started up again as soon as he ate something you should probably be talking to his doctor anyway.

littlebunnyhophophop Thu 23-Feb-17 12:56:14

Sounds more like lactose intolerance can you not just limit his diet go lacto free and if that helps then you know what the problem is? Or it could be gluten that's the issue? Ask for the coeliac blood test

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now