Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

2 year old with suspected nut allergy

(4 Posts)
DesignedForLife Mon 20-Feb-17 09:54:21

Hi, I'm looking for some advice, DD (2.5) is being assessed for possible cashew nut allergy after vomiting, breathing strangely, and coming out in hives after eating a cashew nut. She's got blood tests this week, but the paediatrician she saw had such a thick accent I had a terrible time trying to understand him, and he didn't give me any advice as to what to do, only that I think he's going to prescribe an epi pen through the GP... but I wasn't even sure on that blush I will take DH to next appointment as he is familiar with the accent.

I know I should of asked him more at the time, but what should I expect? Should I be avoiding all nut products? Should I avoid "may contain nuts"? Feeling rather clueless and rather scared.

peripateticparents Tue 21-Feb-17 08:11:04

Cashews are very similar to pistachios protein wise so best to avoid both. I wouldn't specifically avoid other nuts myself but I'd be watching closely. May contains are at your risk. We have cashew allergy as well as other nuts and tree nuts (and others) and generally ignore the 'May contain' warnings except on chocolate and some muesli bars, where risk of getting caught is high.

peripateticparents Tue 21-Feb-17 08:12:50

Meant to say other tree nuts and peanuts. If she's not reacted before to other nuts, best to keep them in her diet regularly! If you stop feeding them she may develop an allergy.

babybarrister Tue 21-Feb-17 09:47:39

Please have a look at this website from the Anaphylaxis Campaign which has lots of very useful material on it about nurseries, factsheets re different nuts and the use of epipens etc

www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/

You will also find that there is a network of 45 support groups which you might like to attend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now