Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hayfever remedies if you can't take hayfever tablets.

(7 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 19-Feb-17 13:47:53

This might out me but I need help. I have dry eyes and have been advised to not take antihistamine tablets as my cornea split. Luckily this was more or less at the end of the last hayfever season so I was able to manage and my cornea healed nicely too.

Been out this morning and I've got all the usual symptoms. So what can I take? I can cope today but know it's only going to get worse and really don't want to risk that happening again.

RedBugMug Sun 19-Feb-17 13:49:41

steroid nasal spray?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 19-Feb-17 14:02:40

TBH I'm a bit ignorant of the different remedies. Would that work? Does it have the same drying effect on my eyes?

VegetarianMum Mon 20-Feb-17 09:04:42

HayMax is good - it doesn't contain any drugs smile

DoItTooJulia Mon 20-Feb-17 09:09:30

Natural remedies are shite imho.

But, there are some natural ways of dealing with it. Vaseline around the nose to stop pollen entering your nose.
Washing all clothes after exposure and drying them inside/tumble dried.
There is an infra red device that you stick up your nose-it's ok, helps a bit, usually sold in pharmacies.

There is a nasal spray that I've found helps (it's not natural) called Avamys (I think).

Other than that, it's staying indoors with the windows closed-which is crap.

I take prescription meds for mine-so it might be worth discussing with your GP, although I know you're trying to avoid meds.

I'm sorry your suffering-it's crap. flowers

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 21-Feb-17 06:58:08

I'm a bit reluctant to try natural remedies, well on there own anyway. It's a bit more than a runny nose, I get swollen, dry itchy eyes, full on asthma plus the usual blocked sinuses etc. It's worse when the rapeseed is in flower and we have multiple fields of the stuff surrounding the village.

Thanks for the tips Julia smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 25-Feb-17 17:11:20

Just to update everyone. I've been taking the nasal spay and that's helped somewhat. My eyes are really sore still, but much better than being cracked! Need to talk to the pharmacist about what to do as my next hospital appointment isn't until June. Asthma is a bit rough, but I can cope with that, just.

Thanks to everyone who replied and if anyone else has some advice, please feel free to post smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now