Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really worried now

(19 Posts)
MyBreadIsEggy Sat 18-Feb-17 08:23:50

Had a dietician appointment last week (due to CMPA), she has planted the seed in my mind and now I'm constantly doubting myself sad
My DS is 17 weeks old and weighs 12lbs. He was 6lb 9oz born and only dropped an initial 4% which he gained back quickly. He has never lost weight since then.
The dietician was looking at his growth charts and said she is concerned as he's gained weight, but dropped another centile line. He was born on the 9th, then gained weight but dropped to between the 9th and the 2nd. Now he has gained weight again, but has dropped to the 2nd. His height however, is on the 25th centile. She said that's what concerns her. I'm now watching his feeding behavipur like a hawk. He's on Neocate LCP and really doesn't drink much! He has 2.5-3oz every 3 hours, usually 4 hourly at night. Once he's finished, he is finished. There's no way I can make him take more than he wants! He pushes the bottle out of his mouth and won't take it back - he is obviously full! He does finish 5oz right before bed but that's the most he ever takes in one sitting. My theory is, because he was breastfed up until a month ago, he has a better understanding of when he's full? And has become accustom to feeding little and often?
So on a good day when he's taking 3oz max throughout the day/night, plus the 5oz bottle before bed, he's having 22oz over 24 hours, is this enough? He's also having plenty of wet/dirty nappies and seems satisfied between feeds.

MyBreadIsEggy Sat 18-Feb-17 11:59:12

Anyone?
Today is a bad day. He had 1oz at 8am, 1oz at 9:45am and has just had 1oz now. confused

AllTheLight Sat 18-Feb-17 12:04:17

My DS1 was born on the 75th centile and dropped to the 25th by the time he was 3months. He was 98th for height. He was EBF so I can't help you with amounts, but I can reassure you that he was absolutely fine and is now a healthy 11yo - still tall and skinny though!

Babies are good at regulating the amount of milk they need, and a drop from 9th to 2nd is not something to worry about if he seems healthy in every other way.

MyBreadIsEggy Sat 18-Feb-17 12:17:50

AllTheLight he's obviously full because he's satisfied and refuses to take more. I just feel like the dietician wants me to force feed him to fatten him up - but I can't make him feed if he doesn't want to!

AllTheLight Sat 18-Feb-17 12:20:49

I know it's stressful, and obviously keep an eye on it, but try not to worry. Not all babies stick perfectly to the same percentile.

Thinkingblonde Sat 18-Feb-17 12:29:41

Have you tried a faster flow teat? He may get tired before he's fully satisfied.

MyBreadIsEggy Sat 18-Feb-17 14:00:38

He's using a MAMsize 2 at the moment but that does still say "newborn" on the packaging and is quite slow. I have some size 3's but last time I tried it was coming out the sides of his mouth - but I will try again as he's a bit bigger now!

MyBreadIsEggy Sat 18-Feb-17 19:05:59

Size 3 was a disaster - he just spluttered and got really bad wind!
I've just seen something that says babies need 2-3oz per pound of body weight each day. So if he was having 2oz for each lb, he should have 24oz in 24hrs. He's had nowhere near that much!!! confused I'm more worried about dehydration than anything

dinobum Sat 18-Feb-17 20:43:19

How much does he feed at night?

Thinkingblonde Sat 18-Feb-17 23:25:06

My granddaughter was in intensive care due to breathing difficulties ( she also has silent reflux and cmpa )she was taking just 1oz at a time then falling asleep for four hours, blood tests showed her blood sugar levels were too low so my daughter had to wake her to feed her every two hours.
I think you should see your health visitor for advice.?

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 19-Feb-17 07:59:09

He had 5oz before bed, went to bed at 8pm. Had 2oz at 3am, 2oz at 6am.

dinobum Sun 19-Feb-17 12:28:58

As much as it might suck, I'd be tempted to wake him and feed him every 2 hours if you're worried, but I bfd so don't really know how formula works in that respect. At 17 weeks though my dd was a terror for being too nosey to feed in the day, I'd only be able to give her proper feeds I darkened room with nothing to see.

Pointeshoes Sun 19-Feb-17 12:40:41

My twins were like this we fed them every three hours and woke them up to feed them - basically fed them while asleep for the first four months because they were so small and sleepy! Mine are on the size 2 mam tears still at 8 months so they should be fine-I think you really need to talk to someone for help if your worried.

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 19-Feb-17 17:24:56

I'm going to give the HV a ring tomorrow

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 19-Feb-17 17:30:14

He's had 9.5oz today since 8:55am (I've started logging his feeds) - he will most likely have a 5oz bottle before bed in a couple of hours which will bring it up to 14.5oz since 8:55am. There's no way he will have another 9.5oz overnight to make it up to the minimum 24oz for his weight hmm

dinobum Mon 20-Feb-17 20:50:08

Is he having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and generally alert? If so I'd try not to stress too much, he'll also pick up on it if you're upright at feeds.

Thinkingblonde Mon 20-Feb-17 21:02:03

My daughter downloaded an app on her phone to log her baby's feeds.

WendlaBergmann Mon 20-Feb-17 22:27:36

I bf my cmpa baby so I can't be much help with the bottle feeding, but - from what I know you're spot on - he was ebf so he knows when he's full. At his age bf babies still feed little and often because their tummies are still small.

The dietician/ paeds team can prescribe fortifiers for formula I think - or more calorie dense formula - but I do t know if that's an amino acid one like Neocate, it may just be hydrolysed like Nutramigen. Worth asking though

The weight loss is very similar to our experience - my DS didn't properly put weight on until 6 months when we started blw.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 21-Feb-17 12:35:21

I'm logging his feeds on an app.
Yesterday he had 15oz in 24hrs.
So far today he's had 7.5oz since 00:30 sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now