Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

All inclusive holidays

(7 Posts)
building2017 Fri 17-Feb-17 09:15:40

Hi, we've never been on an all inclusive holiday but we are considering it. My son has tree nut allergy as well as mustard and lupin allergy (which we THINK explains his mysterious anaphylactic reactions over the past three years), and my daughter has oral allergy syndrome and lactose intolerance. So is it madness to look for a resort that can cater to us? Or have any of you successfully managed it?

MollyHuaCha Sat 18-Feb-17 13:53:03

I have allergies and found that more places than not misinterpret my requests. For instance, at a UK hotel last summer, gluten free bread was kindly provided at breakfast already toasted. When I gingerly enquired before eating, I discovered it had been toasted in the kitchen toaster where normal bread is also toasted. Hence totally cross contaminated and useless to me. I also have a dairy allergy and have frequently found that kitchen staff and waiters do not understand which products contain milk. They confuse lactose with milk or they don't realise there is milk in margarine etc. I've never been to an all inclusive holiday resort, but I can imagine that the self service buffets could be a nightmare for anyone with allergies - lots of food closely packed together with guests swapping spoons, dropping pieces of food from one serving bowl to another completely unawares, replacing items on serving plates when they've changed their minds... I have found the situation to be worse in other countries - very little allergy awareness or understanding of ingredients. If you want to be safe, go self catering!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 19-Feb-17 13:40:38

I've not been to all-inclusive either so place marking.

trixymalixy Sun 19-Feb-17 20:38:06

We have been on all inclusive ski holidays and actually found it easier than having to explain to a new restaurant every night about the various allergies. The chef got to know us and planned ahead and made special meals for the kids and cakes that were suitable for them.

Everyone else was eating pasta at lunchtimes and the kids got steak and half a side of salmon between then. DH and I were envy.

Neolara Sun 19-Feb-17 21:31:59

I would be very wary. The risks of cross contamination could be huge.

babybarrister Sun 19-Feb-17 21:43:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trixymalixy Sun 19-Feb-17 21:51:51

Agree that buffets are too risky.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: