Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

6 wk old - ongoing diarrhoea - allergy??

(18 Posts)
Burnttoastcoldcoffee Mon 13-Feb-17 14:55:47

Hello, my 6 week old breast fed son has had diarrhoea for over a week and green stools for longer than that. He is straining much of the time, day and night, passing small amounts of green/yellow watery/bubbly liquid poo at every feed and sometimes more often. He's also in pain with the straining, and has obvious tummy pain, which isn't confined just to the evening. He often wakes up crying with it. I've cut out cows milk and it's not making any difference so far. I'm not sure what else it could be? I did have a course of antibiotics myself so wondered if that might be the cause, but finished a week ago and dS seems if anything to be getting worse not better. Any advice??

Sweetpotatoaddict Mon 13-Feb-17 15:02:53

At six weeks multiple liquid poos in a breastfed baby can be quite normal. Have you discussed your concerns with your gp/hv? Is he gaining weight? Plenty of wet nappies, bright and alert?
Try the website kellymom for more information.
Hope someone is along with more info for you shortly.

Burnttoastcoldcoffee Mon 13-Feb-17 15:29:04

Yes I've been to the gp, not much help. it's not just the frequency and consistency, it's the colour and discomfort he's in, plus the constant straining. This is dS3 and don't remember anything like this before. Just wondered what the other possible allergens might be if not dairy...

umberellaonesie Mon 13-Feb-17 15:31:17

What is his weight gain like? Any other health issues? Colds. Chesty cough?

Burnttoastcoldcoffee Mon 13-Feb-17 15:31:58

Thank you for the reply and advice tho!

umberellaonesie Mon 13-Feb-17 15:53:53

Does it smell?

Burnttoastcoldcoffee Mon 13-Feb-17 15:58:27

No

Mammatron Mon 13-Feb-17 15:59:21

Do you take iron tablets? They gave my ds green poo!

Sweetpotatoaddict Mon 13-Feb-17 16:34:18

i think if I remember from a friend dairy takes quite a few weeks to work its way out of your breastmilk after you eliminate it from your diet.
I personally would only be trying elimination with guidance from medical staff. I had fairly similar with dc1 never did figure out what caused it, probably have only realised I should have worried after having dc2 and she had nothing like it. Dc1 was thriving though, gaining weight and bright and happy, did go through a period of straining to poo. Hope you get some answers burnttoast

EdenX Mon 13-Feb-17 16:37:34

I think its possible for antibiotics to cause an upset stomach and temporary lactose intolerance - you might want to look that up. Obviously cutting out dairy won't help if lactose is a problem but copied might help.

EdenX Mon 13-Feb-17 16:38:01

Colief not copied.

OldGuard Mon 13-Feb-17 20:34:03

Is your baby gaining weight ?

dementedpixie Mon 13-Feb-17 20:35:04

Could be oversupply. Is he gaining quite well?

munchkinmable Mon 13-Feb-17 21:16:45

Have you cut out soya too? Many cmpa babies are allergic to soya

Burnttoastcoldcoffee Mon 13-Feb-17 22:32:12

Hi all, yes he's gaining weight, and no haven't cut out soya.I've been reading up on secondary lactose intolerance and think that might be it, caused either by the antibiotics or triggered by cmpa. I'm hoping it will calm down on its own, I haven't been able to find any info on likely time frames but seems it should temporary. I will run it past the gp too (I know she's going to love me when I say "I've been doing some research and I think the problem is...")

Ellypoo Mon 13-Feb-17 22:41:27

Are you drinking any/much Diet Coke, tea or coffee or similar?

dinobum Tue 14-Feb-17 07:11:52

Try probiotics - you can get dairy free ones on Amazon

itstinksinhere Fri 17-Feb-17 08:34:36

Antibiotics can really upset their tummies. Hopefully it will pass soon. Took a week or two with mine to get better.

DS has CMP, soy & egg allergies but had other symptoms too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now