Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Current IBS flair up - advise to get me through today

(5 Posts)
DragonNoodleCake Sat 11-Feb-17 11:58:25

Hi - what are your go to ibs calming tricks.

Worse flair up forever and I'm in tears

I fluctuate between IBS-D and IBS-C but more often the latter which I am now.

Stomach so swollen and gas burbs are constant

MollyHuaCha Sat 11-Feb-17 22:23:48

Poor you. These things can be very calming to unhappy digestive system:

- Chamomile tea
- Peppermint tea
- Ginger tea
- Plain food such as baked fish (just sprinkle a little salt, add a lemon slice, brush lightly with oil and bake), chicken, baked potatoes, boiled rice, steamed carrots, parsnips, thin soup.
- Avoid most sugar and fruit till tummy calms down
- Give these veggies a miss till you feel a bit better: onion, garlic, cabbage, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts
- Avoid gassy drinks
- Decide whether or not to give dairy products a miss (some people can tolerate them, others not)

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

DragonNoodleCake Sun 12-Feb-17 19:59:50

Thanks molly I know for sure onion is a trigger food so I avoid st all costs. I think that too much spice was involved in this flareup.

Baked potato, salad etc all weekend and things are calmer, if not totally settled

DragonNoodleCake Sun 12-Feb-17 20:01:08

I haven't wanted caffeine or dairy so I guess that was my body telling me no. I've also drank lots of water

Iris65 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:06:17

I curl up in bed with a hot water bottle and something good on the radio! I have also found changing my diet helps a lot: no beans, no cabbage, brocolli, kale or similar vegggies, very little onion, no processed red meat, no spicy curries, no boiled eggs. I do eat lots of rice, fish, soup, salad vegetables, fruit and yoghurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now