Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help with 'baked milk' rung of milk ladder?

(7 Posts)
QueenRefusenik Mon 06-Feb-17 22:43:21

As advised by thr allergist, we've started DS (13 months) on the milk ladder. Things have been going really well but we've suddenly ground to a halt on the shepherds pie/lasagne etc. stage of things. From being an 'eat everythinf' kind of a baby DS is rapidly becoming a fussy little sod and while he wolfed down the biscuits and cakes from the earlier staves, my lovingly hand-made shepherds pie, lasagne and fish pie have all been rejected with barely a taste (no reaction, for whatever that's worth!). He also absolutely refuses to eat mashed potato on its own.

Any ideas what else I could do for this rung of the ladder? He's also allergic to egg, just to make things more tricky! I have a recipe for egg-free Yorkshire pudding I'll give a try, anything else anyone can suggest?!

QueenRefusenik Mon 06-Feb-17 22:43:48

Gah, excuse typos - fat fingers!

Nomoocluck Mon 06-Feb-17 22:54:12

Pancakes? I know it's not baked but made thinly the milk will be cooked thoroughly. Sub the egg with banana.

QueenRefusenik Mon 06-Feb-17 23:10:54

We've done banana pancakes - he loves those, luckily!

dinobum Tue 14-Feb-17 07:13:59

I hate to say it, but have you tried shop bought toddler meals? I did this for that stage and she wolfed them down having rejected mine!

Having said that, I blame the milk ladder for her new fussiness. She'd never had any sweet stuff before the ladder and I think it changed her taste.

randomsabreuse Tue 14-Feb-17 07:18:32

Mine won't even eat the cakes, little opinionated toad. She asks for my lovingly baked egg free cakes then throws them at me. So any advice much appreciated... it did take a while for her to eat the biscuits too!

Are there particular recipes for that stage? - might have to give up on cakes and move on!

QueenRefusenik Tue 14-Feb-17 15:15:35

Oops sorry, only just noticed a couple more useful replies! @dinobum I did find a shepherds pie without cheese on it in waitrose the other day so served that up and he did eat some (once DP started eating it suddenly seemed much more appealing, apparently!). No reaction, woo hoo. I agree though, he's definitely got more of a sweet tooth now than he did before we started!

@randomsabreuse, yes, he's surprisingly fussy about his cakes too. I made him fair and egg free cupcakes for his birthday and I thought they were really tasty - he turned his nose up at them so I had to eat them all. Oh the hardship... DP made him a baked bean and sausage pasty and stuck a candle in it and he ate the bloody lot. Go figure!

I've never seen the recipes that are supposed to be attached - I just googled things and either bought or made them. You could go on to pancakes like @nomoocluck suggests?

Anyway, since the shepherds pie worked out OK I'm going to do egg-free Yorkshire puddings and a pasta bake done with cream. Then hopefully we can go on to the pizza stage. I know he likes pizza, even with horrible violife on it, so hopefully that will be a bit easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now