Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cows Milk!

(9 Posts)
rebeccajbm Sun 22-Jan-17 01:14:33

Hello ... quick question!
My son is 13 months, changes him to cows milk 1 month ago and he's been constipated for 2 weeks now!! 😱 .... not had a proper poo in ages! What do I do?!

dementedpixie Sun 22-Jan-17 13:13:42

How do you know it's the cows milk? Is he drinking enough fluids, eating enough fruit/veg, etc? Has he been to the gp?

rebeccajbm Sun 22-Jan-17 15:40:00

My midwife said it was the cows milk! Always got juice in his hand, and plenty vegetables! Just don't know if I should change his milk x

LaContessaDiPlump Sun 22-Jan-17 15:50:20

Maybe try him on oat milk or something similar for a while and see if that makes a difference. You can buy oat milk premade in the long-life milk section at the supermarket, but long-term it is easy to make your own (add oats to a blender then add water)!

Alternatively your midwife may just be guessing. That happens a lot.....

For very effective relief, give him plenty of water and then (a few hours later) syrup of figs (or prune juice). Worked a treat on my two!

rebeccajbm Sun 22-Jan-17 19:57:47

Thanks! Awful seeing him like this! Il try what you said. But going to book him in with doctor just incase!
I google things to much hmm
Thanks xx

Caper86 Sun 22-Jan-17 20:02:10

Try goats milk - much more suitable for babies than cows.

PlayingGrownUp Sun 22-Jan-17 20:02:15

My OH was allergic to cow milk as a child and his mum gave him goats milk. The allergy faded away by the time he was 7

dementedpixie Sun 22-Jan-17 20:56:29

Oat milk won't be suitable as main drink for that age. Also don't use rice milk as it has arsenic in it and isn't suitable under age 5. I don't know how she can be sure it is cows milk tbh as he wasn't constipated immediately. Did he have formula or breastmilk before age 1?

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 23-Jan-17 09:11:51

I suggested oat milk as soy may not be suitable for a young boy and I'm not sure about allergy risk wrt nut milks. Goat milk may be a good call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now