Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just been using expired epi-pens on a potato

(6 Posts)
megletthesecond Mon 16-Jan-17 17:32:33

Got both the dc's to practice using an epi-pen on a potato. 10yr old DS who has the allergies is quite confident. His 8yr old sister was a little worried but read the instructions nicely and used it correctly.

I had a flap about composting the potato in case a rat ate it and the adrenaline made it poorly blush. So I binned it.

MollyHuaCha Mon 16-Jan-17 20:18:57

Good idea to practise and good idea to bin the potato smile

canteatcustard Tue 17-Jan-17 15:33:22

never thought to try it on a potato. used an orange for our practices.

Role play as part of it is an idea, used to pretend we were on beach, eating at friends house, or with friends eating sweets from home, etc etc. Always helps.

mishmash1979 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:59:40

Where do u all dispose after? I have 28 expired epipens but can't use till I know where to dispose of them!!!

megletthesecond Tue 17-Jan-17 22:17:25

mish I asked the pharmacist and gp and they said I could bin them hmm, I used to hoard the old ones too. Personally I'm not sure that's ok but the needle is covered once it's used, no sharp is sticking out.

babybarrister Tue 24-Jan-17 17:00:05

give them to school/playdates for role play instead of binning them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now