Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cake! Help a desperate mum

(14 Posts)
Moofin Mon 09-Jan-17 21:49:11

My lo is nearly 1 and I'd like to make a cake for their birthday - unfortunately they've got egg, milk and peanut allergies (amongst others) - tonight's attempt at vegan cake had a reasonable cakey texture but didn't taste too great tbh and I'd not be bothered attempting it again

Anyone have a good tried and tested cake recipe that is as close as possible to the real thing? Baby wont be eating much of course but I want them to try their own birthday cake!

PanannyPanoo Tue 10-Jan-17 13:58:25

Have you tried orgran egg replacer? just mix spoon with water for each egg. Use that and pure sunflower spread as direct replacement for eggs and butter. Works with all recipes.

DoItTooJulia Tue 10-Jan-17 14:00:52

Oil works in some cakes instead of marg. (carrot cakes often have oil instead the fat) and the egg replacer mentioned above works a treat.

I use the cranks carrot cake recipe and it's lush, if that helps?

Paperkins Tue 10-Jan-17 14:03:19

Check out Ethical Chef lemon drizzle or carrot traybake.
ethicalchef.co.uk/recipe/vegan-lemon-cake/
ethicalchef.co.uk/recipe/carrot-cake-vegan/

trixymalixy Tue 10-Jan-17 14:07:56

I have to disagree about orgran egg replacer. I find it very hit and miss.

I make loads of cakes as my kids have similar allergies to yours and this is our favourite cake recipe. It works every time and nobody can tell it's vegan.

allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4666/vegan-chocolate-cake.aspx

SaneAsABoxOfFrogs Tue 10-Jan-17 14:08:23

My son, now 2, has exactly the same allergies and after a lot of miserable attempts at a nice vegan cake, I have found this recipe to be excellent: allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4666/vegan-chocolate-cake.aspx
Good luck - dealing with allergies is a pain in the arse!

SaneAsABoxOfFrogs Tue 10-Jan-17 14:10:08

X-post with trixy
2 recommendations in the space of 2 minutes - must be worth a try!

MollyHuaCha Tue 10-Jan-17 14:12:02

Just clicked on PPs' links. The cakes look lovely and seem easy to make. How do they taste?

trixymalixy Tue 10-Jan-17 14:16:11

Lol at the cross posts!

here are my latest vegan birthday cakes made with that recipe.

trixymalixy Tue 10-Jan-17 14:18:34

Also I use Betty crocker choc fudge icing as it's much nicer than making it myself with vegan spread.

The cake is really tasty. i made one for 50 people for my MIL's 70th and nobody could believe it was vegan.

misdee Tue 10-Jan-17 14:21:36

This recipe is one of my favourites. Gorgeous cupcakes.
minimalistbaker.com/one-bowl-vegan-funfetti-cupcakes/

Stilllivinginazoo Tue 10-Jan-17 14:27:06

Another vote for the vegan choc all recipes cake here.

melonribena Wed 11-Jan-17 11:35:14

I googled and found an egg free cake that uses golden syrup instead. I then just used dairy free butter and milk in it.
I think it's an old ww2 recipe.
Ds1 had it for his birthday cake. Was yum!

Moofin Wed 11-Jan-17 15:37:10

Thanks all! Lots of suggestions to try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now