Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Antihistamine tablets for 12 year old?

(7 Posts)
building2017 Mon 09-Jan-17 14:21:46

Hi,

My son has tree nut allergy and another mystery allergy which has not been identified. At the moment we carry epipens, inhalers, and liquid anithistamines (piriton and certirizine). However, he is about to turn 12 and I suddenly realised he could have antihistamine tablets, maybe? Or is there a reason to still carry liquids?

Thanks so much.

gamerchick Mon 09-Jan-17 14:27:20

I dunno I find the liquids much more effective. I go through loads of tablets but the liquid lasts a while.

It's worth a shot perhaps.

building2017 Mon 09-Jan-17 14:36:28

Thanks, gamer. He doesn't really have to take them as a background thing, so it is more for emergency use.

I guess I'm thinking a little bit about what if his throat starts to close and he can't swallow a tablet. But I guess by that point you'd be wanting the epipen anyway.

We have such a huge rigid case for his emergency kit and I would LOVE to be able to carry something more like a pencil case (lighter! smaller!) but obviously that isn't really a good reason for switching to tablets. <sigh>

canteatcustard Mon 09-Jan-17 16:46:45

yes, its easier for them to carry around a strip of antihistamine. if they can swallow a small tablet.

building2017 Mon 09-Jan-17 17:12:08

Good point. He doesn't usually have to swallow tablets so I will try him out on them in a non-emergency situation before changing the kit.

RockNRollNerd Tue 10-Jan-17 16:05:57

There are melting tablets as well that you can get. DS has these as we've gone through a similar thing now he's at secondary school. They're loratadine rather than cetirizine though.

DS has this now for his epipen and tablets, not sure if you could fit an inhaler in as well but may be worth looking into. He has a medic alert style band as well so even though the pouch is fairly unobtrusive we're comfortable that someone would spot it fairly quickly if they found him having an attack.

building2017 Tue 10-Jan-17 16:50:31

Melting tablets would be perfect. Will see what there is available in cetirizine and piriton.

At school his meds are in the nurse's office and when he's out elsewhere without us he has a backpack. But something he could carry in his 'man bag' grin would better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now