Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Reaction to tinned baked beans

(6 Posts)
PurpleBurtle Mon 09-Jan-17 07:18:26

I've noticed every time I eat heinz baked beans I wake up with a very runny nose, congested the next day, any ideas what's in it that I could be reacting to?
I'm currently trying to give up gluten as I also react to that. I thought I may be reacting to tomatoes but don't seem to have a problem if I eat a normal slice of tomato?

GwendolynMary Mon 09-Jan-17 07:23:47

Oooh! Someone else who is reacting to Heinz beans!

I break out in hives, so I've stopped eating them. I was allergy tested for other reasons (ANA to shellfish, very allergic to mould, react to lots of other stuff) and the allergist could not work out why I was reacting. The scratch test was ok for navy beans. We are stumped. Once, I would dismiss as cross contamination. It happened twice though, with different batches. confused

I'm in Australia. Not helpful for you, but I was so excited that someone else is in my boat. grin Hope you work it out.

user1471537877 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:27:21

Well it's not gluten as Heinz beans are gf, is there any celery in it? That's quite a common one that goes unnoticed

user1471537877 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:33:42

Just had a quick google and cassia cayenne and clover are hidden potential causes according to Heinz themselves along with spirit vinegar and haricot beans which 5% of people with a nut allergy react to

PurpleBurtle Wed 11-Jan-17 07:09:17

Thanks, I will look into them other ingredients,it doesn't seem to be anything obvious.
I think I need to have some allergy testing done but don't know how to go about this

trixymalixy Wed 11-Jan-17 12:21:33

It could be the beans themselves, they are a legume so the same family as peanuts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now