Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you be allergic to red lentils?

(8 Posts)
MrsPear Mon 02-Jan-17 20:57:41

So I thought I would give red lentils a whirl and made I thought - the boys and h less so - a fantastic tomoto and red lentil soup. The most brillant red rash appeared down my neck and across my chest. Only noticed after a shower so blamed that blush Had a second bowl full the following day and the same thing again - although far worse. (I also get a funny sensation when I eat chicken satay from the Chinese takeaway when I think about it ) Does this sound like some kind of intolerance? If so what can I or should i do?

May50 Mon 02-Jan-17 21:53:29

Yes, can be allergic to red lentils. It is part of the nut/pulses allergy. So satay has nuts in too. I would get an allergy test done (see GP for referral) as subsequent reactions could get worse.

INeedNewShoes Mon 02-Jan-17 21:56:52

Yes!

Peanuts (satay) and red lentils are both part of the pulse family.

I am allergic to the whole lot (look out for chickpeas, all types of bean and pea as well).

I've only had two hospital trips due to my allergies and one of those was down to red lentil soup with chapati bread.

I would see your GP. You need to establish how much of the pulse family you are allergic to which should be possible via skin-prick tests. In the meantime avoid anything that provokes your reaction as reactions tend to get progressively worse with each instance.

Buy some antihistamines and carry them with you. If in doubt, take one.

May50 Tue 03-Jan-17 06:29:39

INeedNewShoes - can I ask please if you react to kidney beans too? My son has the pulse/nut allergy. Even green peas. But can eat baked beans fine strangely. Just wondered about kidney beans as they are in chilli!

canteatcustard Tue 03-Jan-17 13:38:52

yes, you can be allergic to lentil.
yes it is possible to be allergic to only one or two/ more types of legumes, but not be allergic to all.

MrsPear Tue 03-Jan-17 14:46:10

Thank you.

I seem to still be able to eat chilli, bake beans and hummus - if I developed a reaction to those I will be lost.

Gp is ridiculously stretched here.

INeedNewShoes Tue 03-Jan-17 17:52:35

May - yes I'm allergic to kidney beans.

Everything's on a sliding scale for me with green beans/peas being a very mild, almost indiscernible reaction up to peanuts which seem to be pretty much certain death (I've never eaten them but have had serious reactions just being in close proximity and my blood test result was through the roof).

Be aware that a very mild allergy might be unnoticeable for children. It took me until I was 20 to link my sore mouth and peeling lips to soya (another pulse).

I developed ulcerative colitis as an adult and I can't help but wonder if it was all those years of eating soya that did it. Given that it damaged the skin in my mouth it doesn't seem too far fetched to think that my intestines were also damaged.

May50 Tue 03-Jan-17 20:16:19

Oh goodness INeedNewShoes that's not good, does sound as though soya could be the culprit. My DS is fine with soya at the moment thank goodness and does have the milk, yogurts, ice cream - hopefully he won't develop an allergy to that too - I have not tried him with kidney beans or chickpeas, just avoided altogether.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now