Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dogs and allergies

(5 Posts)
EddieMonsoon Tue 20-Feb-07 11:17:49

I have been allergic to dogs all my life and only now does it seem to be getting better, but I still get a bit wheezy and also get itchy skin if I get licked. I dont think its fur but the dander (shed skin). Does anyone know of a breed which does not cause allergies? I am allergic to poodles, less so to Maltese.

derlor Tue 20-Feb-07 14:47:12

your body will build up immunity to something if constantly introduced to it. so if you got a dog though you will probably suffer at first you will eventually become immune to that particular dog but feel crap up until then - have you thought of getting a goldfish instead?

fizzbuzz Tue 20-Feb-07 14:50:55

Have also got this, and mine has got much much worse over the years.

Short haired ones are best, less dander, but there is some stuff you can comb through their hair to lessen allergic reaction.

Didn't work for me though. Haven't scientists just bred the first GM cat that causes no reaction? Surely dogs can't be far behind

EddieMonsoon Tue 20-Feb-07 15:32:56

I guess I'll have to wait till they breed one. I actually went to an allergy clinic and they said that if I went ahead and got a dog there would be 50% chance my symptoms wouldn't change, 25% chance they would go away and 25% chance I would get chronic asthma. So I dont think I'll just plunge in with a normal dog.

fizzbuzz Tue 20-Feb-07 16:29:50

Yes, I would love a dog, but they make me so ill!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: