Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Where is butter on the milk ladder?

(9 Posts)
vvviola Sat 26-Nov-16 23:13:02

DD2 (diagnosed with dairy and egg allergies at 8 months old, now 5yo) is progressing up the milk ladder after negative skin prick tests.

We've done pancakes (and worked up to eating quite a volume of them!) and she's fine with baked milk. Next on the ladder is apparently shepherds pie (mash made with milk and butter I presume), which I was planning for next week.

Had dinner at my parents this evening. Just had panicked call from DM. "Just realised I put a knob of butter on the carrots". DD2 had a few carrots, no reaction at all. I'm not surprised really as I think she has probably completely grown out of the allergy and we are just being cautious moving up the milk ladder.

I'm just wonder where melted butter would fit? So I know where the next step is?

Poor DM was in an awful state, she's usually so good, and always does seperate things for DD if necessary. I think she just got distracted before taking a portion out for DD and totally forgot

vvviola Mon 28-Nov-16 10:18:48

Just bumping in case anyone has any thoughts....

PixieMiss Mon 28-Nov-16 12:01:29

I'm no expert but I would hazard a guess at step 5?

Shepherds pie and cottage pie as a lot of people tend to melt butter in their mash for the topping.

sebjenks Mon 28-Nov-16 12:22:33

On my copy of the milk ladder butter is on step 2 - same level as cakes and muffins. I assume that the process of turning milk to butter breaks down the protein quite a lot.

feesh Mon 28-Nov-16 12:30:17

It's not even on the milk ladder I use - doc told me the proteins don't survive the processing and my DS, who can't tolerate any other milk, is fine with it

vvviola Mon 28-Nov-16 12:47:11

Really feesh and sebjenks?! That's interesting. I would have though that the process of making butter (essentially shaking creamy milk around a lot grin) would do less to the proteins than baking the milk. You learn something new every day...

I would have guessed around 5 or 6 (was kind of hoping that the accidental eating had helped us skip a step or two!).

I guess it's shepherds pie for dinner during the week....

sebjenks Mon 28-Nov-16 13:12:45

We are at the shepherds pie stage, and I haven't been brave enough to try butter for my DD yet, even though I saw it is lower on the ladder blush

feesh Mon 28-Nov-16 14:09:12

It made my life so much easier once we relaxed about butter!

SallyGardens Mon 28-Nov-16 14:31:16

Butter is about 90% fat - there's very little proteins in it. My CMPI/A DC, who reacted via breastmilk as a baby, has always been able to tolerate butter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now