Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone claimed back VAT for anti-allergy bedding for child with asthma and allergies to dust mites/cats?

(1 Post)
PorridgeAgainAbney Fri 18-Nov-16 19:35:59

Hi. Son is moving from cot to bed so I've been looking into buying anti-allergy bedding and I've seen a couple of companies (linked from Allergy UK site) that say you can claim back the VAT on their protectors because they are classed as medical.

Checked the HMRC website and it states that you can claim it back if the intended consumer is classed as disabled/chronically sick and states:

*A person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ if he/she is a person with a:

physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activities
condition
which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes*

It's weird, I feel kind of guilty about the idea of doing it because we are just used to it and he isn't "sick" (and certainly not compared to many many others) but then again he has to have a preventer puffer every day and he's been hospitalised quite a few times with asthma so I suppose to an outsider that would seem like a chronic sickness: it's not like you'd choose to pump steroids into your child for years on end if they were perfectly healthy!

So I just wanted to know if anyone else has done this?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now