Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tomatoes giving facial rash

(10 Posts)
QuackDuckQuack Mon 17-Oct-16 20:37:23

My 1 yo DD seems to get a rash on her face when she eats tomato based pasta sauce. She doesn't seem to suffer any other ill effects. Should I stop feeding her tomato stuff until she at least stops covering her face in it while eating or just feed her as normal? The rash looks sore, but doesn't seem to bother her.

MrsDc7 Mon 17-Oct-16 20:39:10

This exact thing happened to my DS. He LOVES tomatoes but whenever he used to eat them, he would get a horrible rash all over his face. It didn't happen with pasta sauce though, which is weird. I stopped giving him tomatoes for a while and gradually reintroduced them and he's grown out of it now xx

GiraffeAHolic Mon 17-Oct-16 20:39:48

My dd was the same with tomato although it gave her a bad tummy too (I could even associate her suffering from me eating them while breastfeeding), I did stop giving her anything with tomato then gradually reintroduced as she got older, she now has no problems. I think it's the acidity that causes the facial irritation, my ds has the same issue with banana as a baby and is now fine with them.

allegretto Mon 17-Oct-16 20:41:03

My ds also had this but grew out of it.

caprifun Mon 17-Oct-16 20:46:42

My DS also had this, it was worst with raw tomatoes but all cooked tomatoes and sauces with them in still caused a rash. Once he was quite violently sick after eating them too. I did cut them out of his diet for ages and tested him with little amounts every few months, he grew out of it at about 3.

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Mon 17-Oct-16 20:49:41

Both of mine had this but grew out it by...3 or 4 maybe.

Ilovewillow Mon 17-Oct-16 20:50:26

My daughter was just the same with any form of concentrate tomato like pasta sauce but fine with fresh uncooked tomatoes. We stopped giving them to her for about 6 months and gradually reintroduced and she has been fine ever since. She's now 8 and loves tomatoes and eats a lot of them!

dalmatianmad Mon 17-Oct-16 20:53:31

Dds ears turn bright red when she eats raw tomatoes! She ok with tinned or tomato based sauces though? !

confuugled1 Tue 18-Oct-16 09:56:14

Probably worth talking to a gp about it - you don't want it to get suddenly worse and be caught out by it.

Dneice is allergic to tomatoes - brings her skin up a very bright red colour and is very sore and irritated although touch wood at the moment she hasn't had her breathing affected (she's 9 now).

Dsis used to pick her up from nursery when she was little and she'd have a really sore red face - and would then ask them why they had given her tomatoes. They would reply that they had't, she'd had pizza or beans on toast to eat and that dsis was being ridiculous as you can't be allergic to tomatoes shockangry. It took her quite a time to get through to some of the nursery staff that yes, you can be allergic to tomatoes, peanuts are not the only thing you can be allergic to. And that it applied to anything that tomato was in or on so no more using pizza or beans as an easy meal. And no more mixing up tomato slices in salads or included in bowls of veg, picking them out was not good enough and that neice's was not a fussy eater by refusing to eat anything that had been in the same bowl as a tomato!

So be prepared to get quite militant about things if it is an allergy!

HeCantBeSerious Tue 18-Oct-16 10:02:49

This is common (unsurprising given tomatoes are part of the nightshade family).

DD had it. I just didn't give her tomatoey things till she was a bit older. At 8 now she's not a fan of tomatoes (and I'm allergic so I just don't buy them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now