Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

2yo allergic to fish and beans

(7 Posts)
ProfessorPickles Wed 01-Jun-16 13:53:00

Is there any link between an allergy to beans and to fish? I'm worried they're just a few out of a 'group' IYSWIM?

Poor DS is allergic to beans and normally just has a small itchy rash around his mouth when eaten. Last week he was fed them at nursery and this time he had hives allover his body and a large swollen eye with a large blister on! It was very worrying and frightened me how quickly his symptoms progressed.

Today he has eaten fish and has had a small rash and a bit of a swollen eye.

He's booked in to the doctors and I imagine he'll be booked in for an allergy test.

Just hoping it's fish and beans only and that other foods won't be off the list too!

Rainbow Thu 02-Jun-16 01:49:53

I work with young children. We have a lot of children who are only allergic to one foodstuff. One boy is OK with peanuts, walnuts, cashews, pistachios it's just hazelnuts he is allergic to. A few children are just allergic to fish. Some to have a list of allergies but most have just a couple like my son, chocolate and oranges x

ProfessorPickles Thu 02-Jun-16 17:33:47

Thank you for your response rainbow, that's good to hear that some just have a couple of things and that it doesn't end up being a group of things!

That has made me feel better smile

ProfessorPickles Thu 02-Jun-16 17:34:10

Thank you for your response rainbow, that's good to hear that some just have a couple of things and that it doesn't end up being a group of things!

That has made me feel better smile

lordsteatime Sat 04-Jun-16 13:03:36

Beans are in the legume family so its possible your child will be allergic to peanuts.

allergies rarely come in ones. often other conditions such as eczema (esp if started before 3 months of age), asthma, and environmental allergies become part of the pattern of being an allergic person.

People who are allergic to one or two tree nuts often need to be cautious around other foods containing nuts as they are often cross contaminated, so it depends on actual food they are in. My son has grown out of many of his tree nut allergies apart from brazil, so he is cautious and reads labels carefully, before deciding its safe to eat.

I would ask your GP if your child could be referred to a pead allergy clinic for expert help.

ProfessorPickles Sat 04-Jun-16 13:47:10

Thank you for your post, DS has already got eczema which flares up regularly and we have a history of asthma in the family so I imagine he'll end up with that!
He's the first to have food allergies though so it's a bit scary at times.

He's been referred so we are just waiting for a letter through smile

That's good to hear your DS has grown out of some of his, does he have to carry anything with him incase of an allergic reaction?

lordsteatime Sat 04-Jun-16 15:06:41

yes, our son has had epi pens prescribed for him since he was 2 1/2. He is now 20 yrs old. Had long list of allergies, some out grown, some life long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now