Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Two questions - please help, thanks

(3 Posts)
Pleasemrstweedie Wed 27-Apr-16 10:37:15

I have multiple allergy/intolerance/reaction issues, for example:

Atopic reaction to every prescription drug, except one, that I have been prescribed since 2004
Wheezing, sneezing, coughing, streaming eyes when in contact with air conditioning systems, household cleaners, air fresheners
Regularly waking up with swollen mouth and lips
Severe diarrhoea after eating the majority of flour-based products
For the last two years always have diarrhoea after eating out, except at an Indian restaurant

These do get in the way of my life in all sorts of ways. For example if I get in a car that has recently been valeted I will cough until I retch and my eyes will stream. I cannot use the loo at work for about an hour after someone has sprayed air freshener in there.

I’ve been to the GP twice, seen two different GPs and cannot get a referral to the Allergy Clinic because, apparently, there is no justification. Every time I’m in there, however, they seize the opportunity to test me for things they get paid for, like bowel cancer and ovarian cancer, all of which is clear. Any idea how I could get a referral?

I did manage to get a coeliac screen, which was negative, although I did eat lots of gluten in the six weeks before, leading to upset stomach, abdominal pain, fatigue and hot and swollen joints.

My GP has now referred me to a gastroenterologist, but there are no appointments currently available, so that will be a while.

In the meantime, I have removed gluten from my diet completely and the diarrhoea has crosses fingers stopped.

Any idea what’s going on? Could this be non-coeliac gluten sensitivity?

lordsteatime Wed 27-Apr-16 13:15:32

it could be.

are you asthmatic? if so is that well controlled?

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 27-Apr-16 18:34:15

Not asthmatic as far as I know. No reason to think I am.

Have had probably two or three chest infections requiring antibiotics in my entire life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now