Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

eczema or allergy? Please have a look at this pic.

(8 Posts)
megletthesecond Mon 14-Mar-16 11:03:03

Thanks!

This is a pic of 7yo dd's trunk. She also has the same irritation on her elbow and arm, the skin in between the fluidy spots is plump, not dry. The spots weep and bleed sad when she scratches them.

I've had a previous thread and since sept we've been using cetraben, Dermol and Betnovate creams. She's been on Piriton at night and certirizine in the day,. I've tried stopping swimming, extra rinsing of clothes, upping good oils in her diet too but nothing has helped. She's got the gp's again later today and tbh I'm not happy for just more cream, I think she needs a referral to the allergy team or dermatologist.

Her big brother has an epi-pen and I've stopped eating gluten on hospital advice, they said I present as coeliac but they can't get a positive blood result, however I recovered when I stopped eating gluten. Some googling made me wonder if dd was developing dermatitis herpeformis (the skin gluten allergy?).

If anyone has any pointers it would be great. I'm off for a run so won't reply for a bit.

Sorry that's long, I'm feeling a bit desperate about it now.

crackedphone Mon 14-Mar-16 12:06:16

I would go back to the GP ( I take it you have already? just to rule out any other cause? ) ask for referral and if you have coeliac it is worth considering as it can spring up in families.

good luck.

megletthesecond Mon 14-Mar-16 13:38:53

Thanks. It's her third (or possibly fourth) gp visit this afternoon. I should probably have made an appointment with a different doctor this time tbh, I suspect allergies aren't her area of expertise.

Booner Mon 14-Mar-16 14:04:04

Both my boys had a rash like this on their elbows and arms before they were diagnosed with coeliac disease. Fluid filled spots like small blisters and itchy.
I'd definitely push for coeliac testing as my boys haven't had the rash since going gluten free.

Really hope you get to the bottom of it.

Sprink Mon 14-Mar-16 14:08:37

I'm not a doctor but it looks very similar to molloscum contagiosum (one of my children had it). Has that been ruled out?

CMOTDibbler Mon 14-Mar-16 14:21:59

I had dh (well, I would now if I ate gluten) and it looks very similar. I think not responding to anything, being intensely itchy, and weeping only from the blisters. It is hard to diagnose as it is rare, and the only treatment is going gf

megletthesecond Mon 14-Mar-16 14:57:40

sprink that's what I wondered at one point. I'll ask the gp about MC too

megletthesecond Mon 14-Mar-16 22:29:41

And the prize goes to sprink flowers. What was definitely originally eczema (I took photos) has now developed into molloscum contagiosum, which is why nothing was working.

The GP said MC looks like little volcanos and she said dd's spots were exactly like that. So she has to ride it out for a couple more months and hopefully it'll settle down.

cmot if it doesn't shift I'll see the allergy team. I do hope it settles down, hopefully dd will continue to be the allergy free member of the household.

Thanks for all the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now