Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Adult acne is causing me problems! Any advice?

(11 Posts)
Norris63203 Tue 01-Mar-16 17:27:50

I am a 23 year old male that has had problems with acne since I was 10 years old. It was very bad at 12-14 and left bad scarring.

The trouble is my acne is still lingering. It's nowhere near as bad as it was but It's so frustrating because I have had it for 13 years so I think I have been punished long enough!

I am getting some co2 fractional laser treatment in two weeks to help the scars. I am worried that when the treatment is over I will get fresh spots and fresh scars which will undo all the good work that the laser has done.

I am using adapolene gel which helps a bit but not 100%.

What do you think I should do?

Thank you

TheAussieProject Tue 01-Mar-16 19:16:15

Try avoiding sugar as much as possible. Not only the one you add to your coffee but also the added one in pretty much everything.
Look for an herbal tea called viola tricolor www.luminescents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1525 and have two cups a day for at least two weeks (1 tea spoon in a mug for 10 minutes) . Hard to believe but it works wonder on acne. Viola tricolor comes also in a liquid form to apply on spot, but don't bother with that, it doesn't really work. Oh and the tea of course has a disgusting taste, but don't be tempted to add honey, you need to stay clear of sugar in all forms.

Really give it a go, in 13 years you must have tried pretty much everything, now try this and come back in a month to tell us if it has improved. Good luck!

phoolani Tue 01-Mar-16 19:18:56

Is the laser thing red LED light? Sorry, don't really know what I'm talking about but am reading Norman Doidge's new book and am in the section about light therapy - and for acne it's supposed to be all about the red light (I seem to remember...)

Cassimin Tue 01-Mar-16 19:31:05

My children were eventually prescribed roaccutane after trying numerous other pills and potions.
Their acne cleared up completely.
Scars took about 6 months to clear.
I'm so glad we kept going to the drs as I would have hated them to put up with acne for years.
There are a few side effects but other than dryness thankfully they were fine.
Have you asked dr to refer to dermatologist?
Raw honey is supposed to help clear scarring.

Claraoswald36 Tue 01-Mar-16 19:41:39

Hi op - loads of sympathy as it must be very depressing. I get acne from hormonal changes so not the same but the long term anti biotic prescription was quite helpful but also the various bleach creams and black mud mask soap (sulphur I think) helped a lot. Also any tea tree foaming Wash is surprisingly effective.
Very curious abuts the tea!

PitPatKitKat Thu 03-Mar-16 17:54:46

Cutting out dairy got rid of mine.

justjuanmorebeer Thu 03-Mar-16 18:03:55

Roaccutane was the only thing that got rid of mine after 17 years. Mine started at age 10 and just never went. I didn't complete the full course of the drug but had about 50 % and haven't taken it since August.

My skin is still very greasy but I don't get acne any longer, the odd hormonal breakout but not very noticable and no more cystic spots ever.

CheeseHamwich Thu 03-Mar-16 18:08:31

PitPat did you only cut out dairy, not sugar as well?

PitPatKitKat Thu 03-Mar-16 18:15:13

I think my reaction to dairy was more about casein than lactose. It gave me sinus trouble too, so I read if that's the case it's protein thing not a sugar thing.

Do watch the fructose intake, but don't cut out all sugar. Try not to go wild on it mind.

Did take probiotics as well though- prescript assist and s. boullardi.

Angel74 Fri 04-Mar-16 19:28:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

acneresearch2015 Sat 05-Mar-16 16:20:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now