Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Reaction 5 weeks after milk ladder - constantly sick

(8 Posts)
fraggle84 Tue 23-Feb-16 06:45:33

Dd just turned 1 and has been on neocate from 1 month due to suspected cmpi

She followed the milk ladder just after Christmas with no immediate reaction and has been on cows milk since middle of January

Over the last 2 weeks she's being constantly sick, and her weight has dropped. We saw the paedetrician yesterday who thinks she's built up a reaction to milk and has put her back on a dairy free diet

I'm waiting on a call from the dietician as the paed said she can't go back on neocate as its for under 1 year olds.

Has anyone been through this? I'm struggling to get my head round dairy free meals with is silly as I've done it before but finding it hard for some reason

PragmaticWench Tue 23-Feb-16 07:00:54

Neocate isn't for 'under 1 year old's, it's for any age but doctors don't want to prescribe it much as it's expensive! Both of my DC have it until past two years old. Honestly the advice from our consultant isn't to go completely dairy-free again but to go a few steps back down the ladder and see if they can tolerate a lesser amount. If they can't then you'd eliminate completely.

Are you on the Facebook cmpa support group? It's good for advice until you can speak with the dietitian or allergy clinic.

fraggle84 Tue 23-Feb-16 07:48:04

No I've not heard but I'll look now, thanks

How many steps back do they recommend? Also any thoughts on whether to avoid soya?

I'm worried as her reaction isn't instant so no real way of knowing what upsets her and what doesn't

fraggle84 Tue 23-Feb-16 07:49:07

Is it cmpa support group for weaning on fb?

MayfairMummy Tue 23-Feb-16 10:37:33

fraggle, keep a detailed food diary and it will help sort out what she's reacting to. we have several non immediate reactions and it helps a lot (eg my sons eardrums would burst 4 days after eating wheat!). if you're not sure re dairy or soy, cut them both out and then introduce one at a time at least 2 weeks apart and food diary all the way through.

the cmpa on facebook has different arms... the weaning is one of them, the other is just cmpa. (there's also a breastfeeding one).

WRT neocate, if you can introduce the appropriate nutrients through other parts of the diet, i wouldn't stress too much about not having a script. We breastfed until almost 12 months and then my son didn't want neocate. we went straight to oatly and other dairy alternatives. He's a strapping lad :-)

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 23-Feb-16 10:44:18

MayfairMummy - I have never yet met someone who's child reacted in the same way to wheat. Did you ever get a test to show that wheat was a problem or someone who believed you? I lost count of the number of times I have been told 'There is no medical pathway which would result in that happening' or 'It cannot have happened in the way that you have described'. (We have other bizarre reactions with my youngest son too, I have ended up just finding what the problem is and avoiding it rather than attempting to have it rationalised.)

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 23-Feb-16 10:44:47

Sorry to hijack, fraggle.

MayfairMummy Sun 28-Feb-16 21:42:01

anotherday ... i understand that it's something to do with the eustacian tubes swelling a bit and not allowing fluid to flow as it should ... i was never originally told it had any allergy link, and we were being seen by ent - the doc there was absolutely awful. however, i had googled the life out of it and there were several things on one site that were linked to recurring ear infections. The only 2 that were still in our diet - red grapes (very infrequent) and wheat (frequently but small quantities). i cut out the wheat and my son started sleeping through the night for the first time ever. i introduced it again a few times (food diarying) and he stopped sleeping, and the eardrums would burst again. I had to increase the amount he was having daily in order to do a celiac test. i lasted 2.5 weeks. he was a nightmare; absolute devil child. Stopped the wheat. happy kind little boy came back. We've avoided wheat since. About a year after we stopped, one of the allergy docs mentioned the link in a talk he was giving (ie recurring ear infections and allergy).

I have found that food diarying and showing the evidence is about the best i've had in 'proving' the issue. Having said that, i now mostly research/ teach myself because of the bad advice i got early in the piece...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now