Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gluten free finds in aldi?

(23 Posts)
Supportingeachother1983 Fri 19-Feb-16 12:58:36

I am currently doing a gluten free trial on my dd, everything is so expensive I am going to be bankrupt! My other dd is dairy free and I have found some bargains in aldi, like the frozen garlic bread bourbons rich tea biscuits etc. I was wondering if anyone has found any gluten free bargains in aldi??

Madelinehatter Sat 20-Feb-16 16:18:56

Nope it's rubbish for GF IME. I do know Iceland has a decent range in some stores though.

Do you think your DD needs to be GF? Are you worried about Coeliacs? If so suggest you get a blood test and keep her on gluten til you get it. You can get a screening test from the chemist I think.

Cutting out gluten is no picnic ( literally ) and you really need a diagnosis.

JemimapuddleducK02 Tue 23-Feb-16 18:19:57

I found GF chic chip cookies in pound land! Haven't tasted them yet but thought for one pound it would be worth a try!

Supportingeachother1983 Tue 23-Feb-16 19:34:32

Wow that's good! What were they called?

Greydog Tue 23-Feb-16 19:36:31

Quite a lot of Aldis stuff if gluten free, as my DH is coeliac, and often picks up stuff there. I think that most of their sauasges are, You just have to read the labels carefully!

Supportingeachother1983 Tue 23-Feb-16 21:55:32

Ooh do you mind me asking you what things he buys from aldi?

JemimapuddleducK02 Wed 24-Feb-16 11:14:35

Can't remember what they're called, but they're in a box and found them on an end aisle..... Prob doesn't help much.

magicstar1 Wed 24-Feb-16 11:20:13

My local Aldi has a great gluten free section...breads / cakes / flour / pasta / cereals / crisps etc. Some of the chocolate is gluten free too

Greydog Wed 24-Feb-16 11:45:34

Bockwurst, Bratwurst all OK. Some of the cereals (but he can't remember which) he said just read the ingredients, and there's more that you think!

JemimapuddleducK02 Wed 24-Feb-16 14:43:46

These are the ones from pound land. Actually taste quite nice too!

Supportingeachother1983 Wed 24-Feb-16 19:50:37

Thank you!

ninja Wed 24-Feb-16 19:59:18

Madeline has a point - actually GF food is generally very highly processed (made from de-glutened wheat for example) so not particularly healthy (symptonwise my coeliac sister has more issues with GF food than that with gluten).

Why are you trying GF for your DD? If you suspect there is a problem you'll need to put her back on to be tested.

JaneHair Wed 24-Feb-16 20:00:35

You haven't answered the question about whether your child has been diagnosed as coeliac.

It's not fair to remove gluten from your daughters diet without getting this confirmed from a doctor first. Otherwise you're cutting out a major food item for no good reason. If your daughter is showing symptoms of coeliac disease, she will need a blood test through the GP and if that's positive, followed by a gut biopsy at hospital (easy procedure). You will then be able to get basic gluten free foods for her for free on prescription if she's found to be coeliac (pasta, bread,,pizza bases) She will need to eat gluten before and during her blood test and gut biopsy. If you take her off gluten when she has the blood test, it will muck up the results.

Coeliac Uk has lots of useful info.

Sorry to be harsh but trialling a gluten free diet on a child without a diagnosis is not recommended by Coeliac UK.

Supportingeachother1983 Thu 25-Feb-16 07:18:16

We are waiting for a hospital appointment. But it's months away and my daughter is in extreme pain 24 hours a day for 18 months, I feel we have been let down by the health service. Hence why I am trying anything possible to see if it helps by daughter. She has been gluten free for 2 weeks now and there has been no change in her condition, so I am not sure if it is gluten causing the problem. Does anyone know how long it takes to clear the system?

ninja Thu 25-Feb-16 10:27:56

Has she had the blood test (I know it's not particularly reliable). Has she been tested for iron and other vitamin deficiencies? These can also be an indicator I believe.

Supportingeachother1983 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:55:18

No nothing yet, this will be our first hospital appointment. The doctors have just been giving her heart burn medications as she started suffering with stomach ache and heart burn 18 months ago when she started school

Madelinehatter Fri 26-Feb-16 08:34:11

Not sure why you have to wait so long for an appointment.m a blood test just takes place in the usual way. If you suspect coeliacs just ask GP to refer for a blood test. It's very straightforward.

Supportingeachother1983 Fri 26-Feb-16 16:10:36

The gp just keeps telling me heart burn and stomach ache is normal in children?? So I've just been clutching at straws trying to guess what could be wrong as she is in pain everyday waking in the night screaming. I've even taken her to A+E that is when we started to finally get the heartburn medication which has helped about 75:/: of the time, before that the GP thought she might have constipation.

Supportingeachother1983 Fri 26-Feb-16 16:12:35

It's been 2 weeks now of trying gluten free and there has been no improvement at all so I'm going to try dairy free now for a couple of weeks. Her sister has a dairy allergy. Then after that if that doesn't help I'm at a loss of what else it could be? I will just have to wait for the hospital appointment. It's horrible seeing her in pain every day though.

Madelinehatter Fri 26-Feb-16 23:00:10

Sounds rough. If it is gluten you might need longer than 2 weeks to get it out of her system but bear in mind she needs to be eating it when she has the blood test.

Hope you get sorted OP.

mpe1527 Sat 05-Aug-17 09:51:01

The best place I would consider going is Tesco, aldi has a few things and are cheap considering but not a wide range at all. I suggest you do a food diary for your daughter and right down symptoms after each food. I was given the same diagnosis as your daughter sinse I was 11 years old, I'm now 18. Your daughter may have gastrophical reflux disease which I was supposingly suffering with however your case may be the same as mine. I have self diagnosed celiac disease and have had for the past 2&a half years. You will notice a significant difference if it is celiac she has. I was being sick after every meal for 8 years of my life, I stopped eating and got very sick. I now have a full gluten free diet and am rarely sick, the first meal I had was rice noodles instead of egg noodles on my stir fry, I cried because I was so happy I hadn't been sick for the first time in years. Eating gluten free products can be dangerous if you're not celiac so I suggest she does a food diary and go back to the doctors. Even if they say she's not keep asking for tests and don't stop, make sure you right each ingredient in a recipe down in your food diary too determine what shes actually allergic too and don't eat whatever you find unless a doctor states otherwise.

I hope this helps,
Marianne

WiseDad Sun 24-Sep-17 20:02:19

Home bake. Don't buy GF biscuits as a pack is ruinously expensive and lasts minutes. The ones I like are £2.50 for eight biscuits.... Dove farm's website has a great filter for Gf recipes.

Foreverhopeful22 Sun 24-Sep-17 20:10:20

Maybe get her check for dairy intolerance

Mine has same symptoms dairy reacts with her gut and causes extra acid build up. Can cause her to be constipation or diarrhoea

From 6 weeks old she was on antacids, and meds

2 years later she is slowly getting over it by introducing small amounts every few days but still can't have milk or cheese unless it's cooked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now