Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

eczema bumps, scratching and bleeding. can't find a cream that helps so far

(12 Posts)
megletthesecond Wed 17-Feb-16 17:17:14

7yo DD developed eczema on her trunk, inside of her arms and thighs at the start of September. The bumps appear to be liquid filled and bleed when she scratches them. No obvious trigger and no previous eczema (however her big brother has food allergies and an epi-pen and had eczema as a baby so I'm well drilled). No bubble baths, pets or being too clean fat chance. I've tried upping the healthy oils in her diet (more omega oils in seeds and oily fish) and she's missed a few swimming lessons to see if it makes any difference, it doesn't.

So far we've had two visits to the gp and tried Cetraben cream, Dermol cream and Betnovate. She also has Piriton in the evening. Nothing is really working confused. No mater what I slap over her it's not getting rid of it. I've made another gp apt for next month but I'm not hopeful.

Any ideas confused. It's not just red dry skin, it's the bumps that worry me. With her brothers allergy history I'm tempted to ask for an allergy team referral. That or a fortnight on a sunny beach swimming in the sea which would probably zap it.

Madelinehatter Sat 20-Feb-16 16:20:54

Really Betnovate not working? It is usually effective though a bit strong for some. Ask for referral to a dermatologist. Sounds awful

megletthesecond Sun 21-Feb-16 11:20:05

Thanks for replying. It really isn't clearing it up. I was starting to wonder what the next step would be. I've made another gp for next month so I'll push for a referral.

outputgap Sun 21-Feb-16 11:25:46

How long have you been using the betnovate for? With dc2 it took over a month to get completely rid of some vicious weeping patches on his legs.

megletthesecond Sun 21-Feb-16 15:53:00

out did you use the Betnovate every day in the end? The gp gave me the usual lecture about only using steroids for a few days so maybe I need to stick with it for longer.

The funny thing is her skin is plump and healthy where it isn't blistered. It's not visibly dry at all.

outputgap Mon 22-Feb-16 00:09:31

Yeah, I found the conflicting advice offered by our multiGP practice utterly useless and guilt inducing, so we went privately to a paediatric dermatologist, and he advised betnovate simply to get rid of some of the more stubborn patches. (I forget the name of this particular type of eczema.) We used it I think twice a day, but not entirely sure now, and until the eczema was completely gone.

It was a revelation after all the differing advice given by GPs, and the treatment completely transformed his skin and quality of life. He hadn't been sleeping for scratching, woke up with yellow pus seeping through his sleepsuits and into his sheets. And now we use a tiny bit of eumovate every now and again to blitz the tiniest bits of eczema that appear, and you wouldn't know he has it. There was an initial period of heavy steroid use to clear his skin completely, but consultant was adamant (and correct imo) that this was the only way to approach it successfully.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 22-Feb-16 00:25:29

I had a very similar experience with DS. My lovely GP at the time had had 3 DC with eczema herself and basically said you have to knock it on the head with steroids in order to prevent in the future. He ended up on Eumovate which is stronger again I think.

Your poor DD. Hope you can get it sorted. You do need someone who really knows about eczema. Most GPs don't really, I was lucky.

Mrsmorton Mon 22-Feb-16 00:42:22

I have eczema although not as badly as your poor DD. What I find with any cream is I have to really kick the arse out of it. Slather it on so much I can barely stay in bed I'm so slippery. When it flares up I go back onto the steroid ointment and in the mean time manage it with cetraben or double base. Also, the GP prescribed me some shower gel which helps.
I'm sure you know but E45 feels like rubbing deep heat into eczema so steer clear voice of experience I only developed it as an adult.

jolie33 Mon 22-Feb-16 08:19:21

Hi all, this thread is very interesting to me my baby who is 19 mths has a similar prob, i will start my own post with a photo, if anyone can help would be fab x I understand how upsetting this is x

megletthesecond Mon 22-Feb-16 11:24:37

Thanks all.

Operation Use A Bit More Betnovate For A Bit longer started today.

megletthesecond Fri 04-Mar-16 13:27:53

Well, it's been well over a week of higher Betnovate use and it's no better.

My hunch is that the poor little mite has developed an allergy or nasty intolerance, she wants to be like me and her big brother hmm. I'm going to stand my ground at the gp surgery and ask for an allergy clinic or dermatologist referral. Not just more cream!

Angel74 Fri 04-Mar-16 19:26:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now