Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergy or irritation?

(3 Posts)
CornishDoll82 Tue 02-Feb-16 16:54:58

My little one had hummus today for the first time (7 months) and immediately came out in a red rash around her mouth. It didn't seem like hives as was flat and didn't appear to be itchy and bother her at all. It went after around 20 minutes.

Do you think this is more likely to be contact irritation (hummus was all around her mouth!) or a sesame allergy. Internet seems to say either of these - so either something innocuous or quite serious!

I spoke to docs on phone and their only recommendation was to try all the ingredients separately or just 'avoid hummus as it's not essential.' If she potentially has a sesame allergy though this doesn't sound like great advice does it?

dementedpixie Tue 02-Feb-16 18:05:31

Sounds like oral allergy syndrome but don't know which ingredient would be most likely to cause it

CornishDoll82 Tue 02-Feb-16 18:24:44

I'd not heard of that before. There's no history of food allergies or hay fever in family. Weirdly as a child I had allergy testing due to eczema and was told I had an allergy to trees but I grew out of eczema, never had hay fever and the only food that makes my mouth tingle is pineapple.

She seemed to not be bothered by it at all - not itchy or anything and went down when we wiped it off.

Some people online seem to have discussed it just being due to lemon (Citric acid) irritation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now