Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Getting DSs tested for what's triggering their 'hay-fever'?

(22 Posts)
Draylon Sun 03-Jan-16 11:14:59

I know that it's trivial when up against the sorts of proper, full-blown, life threatening allergies many people on this forum face on a daily basis, but I wasn't sure where else to post- children's health, maybe?

Anyway both DSs get sudden attacks of what seems to be hay-fever, sometimes every day, any time of the year. The attacks come on quite suddenly, apparently out of the blue; I have no idea what's triggering them, but the rarely are both DSs affected at the same time.

Hay-fever tablets can help, but these daily attacks are getting DS2, 14 quite 'down'. DS1 is, ftr, 16.

Both have very mild asthma, never had a proper attack as such; but both use the brown inhaler twice a day, one puff; DS2 has eczema, again, not particularly badly; neither has any food intolerances, thankfully.

So, my question is, the GP is highly unlikely to give me a referral to a child allergy clinic, which is fair enough; I know the waiting list, if we were on one, can be months- so can I get this done privately, and how do you check that it's a bona fide clinic, not someone trying to sell snake oil?

I would like to get to the bottom of this to see if it's something common and every-day that I could go some way towards eliminating.

We are near Southampton.

TIA

VegetablEsoup Sun 03-Jan-16 11:19:55

can they do a diary of the attacks?
writing down what common allergens they were exposed to prior the attack?

are their rooms clean? regularly hoovered and damp dusted?
bedding synthetic and bedding and covers regularly washed at high temperatures? matress turned and hoovered?

ppeatfruit Sat 09-Jan-16 13:38:49

It could be (normally is) dairy, or high acid forming foods like oranges\juice, tomatoes cashew nuts etc. DS has those hay fever symptoms when he encounters cats and controls it with a turmeric supplement. It works very well.

Draylon Sat 09-Jan-16 16:15:13

Ooh! Tell me about the tumeric!

ppeatfruit Sat 09-Jan-16 16:24:05

Well I take it mixed with olive oil in a paste with a large glass of water (I watch what I eat and know when I've had dairy and it stops the runny nose ,eyes, sneezing syndrome almost immediately!!

I made ds a tea from it with ginger and a bit of honey, the spice you can buy in Waitrose or anywhere , I like the organic one. Or you can take supplements from the Health food shop which you might find your teenagers more keen to take!

DarkChocolate100 Sat 09-Jan-16 17:36:30

Hi, I have always suffered from allergies (last 30 years or so) similar to those your describe, particularly triggered by dust and animals (and more recently hayfever). I recently changed my diet to exclude dairy and gluten and dont suffer these allergies at all now (previously had to take daily antihistamines). Will be interesting this year to see if I also dont get hayfever. Might be worth trying to cut these out for a week or so to see if it helps?

ppeatfruit Sun 10-Jan-16 09:59:35

Yes exactly DarkChocolate So few people think that their diet causes their problems!

TeddTess Sun 10-Jan-16 10:09:18

You can have blood tests to check for allergens. DD2 had it on the NHS as a baby and DD2 had them done as part of an ENT/hayfever consultation at the portland in London but most hospitals will do them. Just tell your GP you want blood tests.

by the way we cut out gluten in hayfever season. works a treat, better than anything else.

TeddTess Sun 10-Jan-16 10:10:41

DD1 i mean at the Portland. they have an allergy centre.

Eve Sun 10-Jan-16 10:22:54

Mr Mitchell at spire Southampton, sorted my sons allergy to dust mites in 1 appointment after years of being fobbed of my gps. DS had constant cough, cold, chest infections general run down etc.

ppeatfruit Sun 10-Jan-16 10:42:12

Draylon I just reread your post and noticed you mention mild asthma in you sons . DH completely cleared his by practicing the Buteyko method which is basically nose breathing not mouth breathing!!
The doctor couldn't believe it!

ppeatfruit Sun 10-Jan-16 10:42:56

Also ess. oil of peppermint is lovely for it.

Draylon Sun 10-Jan-16 14:23:43

Thanks all- I will give it all a go, including Mr Mitchell!

Snooksbury Sun 10-Jan-16 14:44:15

The paediatric allergy consultant at Southampton general works privately too & is really good. If you manahed to get an NHS referral you might well end up at his clinic, but if you can't you could go private, think he holds clinics at Wickham too. We saw him privately then now see him on the NHS. Here is his website

www.childrensallergy.org.uk/services/4554727087

crackedphone Sun 10-Jan-16 15:39:28

you can get referred to local hospital for a blood test for environmental allergies. Of course dust mite it the most common cause all year round. others like mold start when leaves fall and rot, tree pollen during end of march/feb then onwards to grass during summer months = hay fever.

daily antihistamines control minor symptoms but work better with nasal sprays.

crackedphone Sun 10-Jan-16 15:42:17

also to add, I think its VERY important that you get this sorted, teens with hay fever tend to get lower exam results due to time of year taken. Also education in general suffers due to lack of deep sleep caused from allergies (rhinitis). Also trying to concentrate in class while suffering side effects/symptoms are also going to impact on learning.

ppeatfruit Mon 11-Jan-16 09:48:09

Yes crackedphone A lifetime of being on more and more drugs instead of a change of lifestyle . Great.

crackedphone Mon 11-Jan-16 13:27:33

A change of life style will not make or 'cure' allergies. It is the combination of both that will improve the condition.

No one is cured of asthma, and certainly I have recommended the breathing method you mention. It does improve many peoples asthma, but does not cure it. Asthma is well known for going dormant and for some not returning, but can for some return later in life. Keeping fit and being aware of lung function is important.
Many children have asthma that is difficult to control, but improves as they reach teens. However this is due to lungs growing to adult size and they still have asthma. Teens are at high risk of sudden asthma attacks because they have less symptoms, stop taking daily steroid inhalers and loose lung function gradually without realising.

Our son has to have prescription drugs and have his home changed to cope. He has nearly all the environmental allergies, (has outgrown one) which cause many symptoms that impact his daily life. So we have wooden flooring, leather sofas, we have changed his bedroom, his bed and had a air filter to remove dust and pollen.
when younger his skin needed a daily routine to keep control and limit infection.
Our son does not have asthma, although lots of people have asthma in family, but has had severe symptoms just from his environmental allergies.
Asthma drugs are well controlled and safe, as are antihistamines. There are many antihistamines available and yes side effects arent good, but can be reduced. we have changed the antihistamines over the years to see which ones work best for him. The nasal sprays are particularly good at controlling some symptoms, and dont have the sleepy side effects that oral antihistamines do. But many people forget to take them so end up taking more antihistamines.

It would be nice to have the choice of not having our son on antihistamines, but his life would be VERY difficult without them. Certainly his education which has been patchy due to his ill health linked to his other allergies has been impacted, but without the medication this would have been further impacted .
We simply didnt have a choice.

ppeatfruit Mon 11-Jan-16 16:04:52

You didn't try getting him to go vegan? My ds and dh are cured of their asthma type, hay fever symptoms when dairy free.

Asthma drugs can be lethal and have been known to kill people in hospital (the treatment was wrongly administered). They have to be very carefully used and are certainly overprescribed IME..

crackedphone Mon 11-Jan-16 20:29:37

uncontrolled asthma kills about 1200 people a year, most die from not taking their asthma meds correctly or regularly. Asthma medication is very very safe.

and my son could not be a vegan considering his life threatening allergies to peanuts and beans. He has other food allergies which mean that his diet is best served with oily fish, lean meat, dairy and veg.

ppeatfruit Tue 12-Jan-16 10:25:23

Well I would cut his dairy out for a couple of weeks and check him out. There is plenty of more easily digested calcium and protein in green veg.

In France DH was tested properly and was found not to have asthma at all. I'm not sure what it's all about. But I know he has an allergy to dairy.

crackedphone Tue 12-Jan-16 11:19:19

asthma can be difficult to diagnose for a variety of reasons. Sometimes you do need to see a medical person higher up the chain. iyswim

I would never cut milk out of his diet, as he is not allergic in any way or form, but we did out of his sister who does have a problem with milk and is highly allergic to dust mite and cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now