Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blue Badge for colitis sufferer.

(9 Posts)
Hayelp Thu 31-Dec-15 00:19:23

Ulcerative colitis - my husband needs a Blue Badge to be able to stop for emergency exits to the loo Is this possible? In short, a loo card would not help with his need to park before 'the shit hits the fan'.

Schrodingersmum Thu 31-Dec-15 22:52:14

I can't see that this would qualify as theyve tightened the criteria up lately, you have my sympathy as we are a family of severe coeliacs, he would however probably qualify for a radar toilet key if that helps?

cowssheephens Thu 31-Dec-15 23:00:38

My young DD has a blue badge, she has a diagnosis of Crohn's. It's been invaluable to dd and we would really struggle without it. Good luck.

nancy75 Thu 31-Dec-15 23:02:41

My brother has ulcerative colitis, he has had it for close to 15 years and has had most of his bowel removed, he has been turned down for a blue badge more than once

Hayelp Sat 02-Jan-16 20:13:42

How do your family members with UC manage when they're driving and have an 'emergency'?

nancy75 Sat 02-Jan-16 20:39:48

My brother tends to plan where he is going quite carefully and knows the whereabouts of all toilets! He has recently moved into central London and doesn't drive much anymore, he finds walking easier as he can always go in to a pub to use the loo if he needs to. It's not ideal and does seem very unfair, he has had this condition for his whole adult life and it's not going to improve

OddBoots Sat 02-Jan-16 20:44:52

I have a family member with this too, he has to wear inco products for those kinds of emergencies. Even if he had a blue badge there isn't always a toilet nearby.

Hayelp Sun 17-Jan-16 10:37:28

It's just horrendous. If he drives anywhere (we live in countryside and he has to drive into town often too) he needs to make emergency stops then n there to rush and find an emergency toilet. There's no way he can plan toilets on the way. Wearing an in intense pad knowing he will poo in it on the way is just horrendous.

Hayelp Sun 17-Jan-16 10:37:48

Incontenance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now