Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

wagamamas is awful if you're gluten free isn't it.

(16 Posts)
megletthesecond Wed 04-Nov-15 12:26:38

(First world problem and all that) . Used to love Wagamamas but now I'm gluten free there's hardly anything to eat. I've promised the dc's a meal out and they haven't been to wagamamas in ages so I'm going to suck it up, but I think I have the choice of a couple of curries. Even their fab salads aren't GF sad. I miss their noodles.

I'll have to eat my own body weight in edamame beans.

Mendeleyev Wed 04-Nov-15 12:27:55

Don't they do the rice noodles any more then? My sister eats wheat free and that's what she had. Was about 18 months ago though.

megletthesecond Wed 04-Nov-15 12:30:31

Don't think so. The gluten free options don't give me any noodles dishes at all, maybe I'm doing it wrong. I wonder if there's also gluten in the soup / dressing?

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-Nov-15 12:49:17

If you ask in the restaurant, they have a really good allergy guide which tells you what you can have and what needs to be adapted. The online menu filter is rubbish as you can't specify gluten and it doesn't say 'this without the pickles is OK'

It used to be better imo, but I feel like I have much better gf options now

fuzzywuzzy Wed 04-Nov-15 12:51:09

Ask at the restaurant and they usually do tailor the meals to you so you can order a dish without something in it.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 04-Nov-15 12:54:13

I think going to a noodle restaurant is off the list of choices for eating out if you're gluten free really, as would be a pizza restaurant.
Wagamamas do do some rice dishes I think, but your choices are bound to be limited, obvs! take some sandwiches

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-Nov-15 14:16:48

Actually, you can go to Pizza Express, Pizza Hut, or Dominos and get a gluten free pizza, so its not an issue these days MrsHalfpenny

As Wagamamas do have rice noodles, its just a matter of getting the right information on how to construct a dish with them

megletthesecond Wed 04-Nov-15 15:16:36

yy, the chain pizza and pasta restaurants are really good for GF. And their salads are GF.

I'll pop into wagamamas and find out about the rice noodles.

Schrodingersmum Thu 05-Nov-15 12:37:02

Yo sushi also have Gf offers just take your own soy!

Boosiehs Thu 05-Nov-15 12:38:59

The soy is often not gluten free.

HeadDreamer Thu 05-Nov-15 12:40:35

Soba and rice noodles are gluten free. But I'm not sure if wagamama do them.

But how about all the rice dishes?

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 05-Nov-15 17:56:40

Can you now? The times they are a-changing. Well done Pizza Express!

SueGeneris Thu 05-Nov-15 18:00:07

I got a dish adapted in wagamamas to be gluten free. They were really good about it actually.

Pizza Express and Pizza Hut and even Dominoes now all do gf pizza.

outputgap Thu 05-Nov-15 18:03:51

Yasai itame! It's thick rice noodles and tofu. (There's a chicken version too.)

Yum.

Chopchopbusybusy Thu 05-Nov-15 18:05:39

We go to Wagamama with DH who had to eat GF. He gets the allergy list which confirms which dishes are ok and which can be OK with substitutions.

JonSnowKnowsNowt Sun 08-Nov-15 23:01:31

My coeliac DC loves Wagamamas and always has chicken noodles - they substitute rice noodles and tamari soy sauce. The waiting staff are always really helpful and friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now