Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High IgE, no skin reaction

(3 Posts)
SeahorseSid Wed 12-Aug-15 22:54:24

DS has had anaphylaxis to cows milk as a baby and so has been dairy free. He has just had a skin prick test which was negative, so we were hoping to start challenging. However the IgE then came back positive (35) so have been advised not to. I understand that false positives are more common than false negatives, so am a bit frustrated. Any ideas why the skin prick could be wrong, or thoughts on what we should do?

ApparentlyImDoingItAllWrong Thu 13-Aug-15 15:38:57

I wouldn't start challenging and would hold out until the next time they test him (will you be going back in 6-12 months?) and hope that the IgE result would have improved too and then you can start food challenges with some confidence.

SeahorseSid Thu 13-Aug-15 22:24:37

Yes we are back in 6 months. I just wonder why the skin prick was negative, and that is a more relevant test than the bloods, which I've read can give high results randomly sometimes. I worry about the restrictive diet, but I guess we'll plough on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now