Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

11.5m old refusing nutramigen lipil 2

(16 Posts)
cjt110 Tue 28-Jul-15 08:56:07

Hi all,

We have been and seen the GP yesterday who has advised DS may have CMPA/CMPI (He has awful hive type rash that comes up/down when we give him full fat milk/not)

He has been prescribed nutramigen lipil 2 and point blank refuses to drink it. We have tried mixing it 2 scoops nutramigen and 4 of his normal milk and he still wont touch it. He got so distressed last night he wouldnt take his normal milk or dummy.

Are we able to just try giving him something like Alpro Soya or Lactofree milk you can buy from the supermarket as Ive heard these are more palatable? He's 1 in 2 weeks time.

Thanks

dementedpixie Tue 28-Jul-15 09:04:11

lactofree milk wouldn't be suitable as lactose is the sugar in all milks whereas your ds is reacting to the proteins in the milk. You need a dairy free milk not just lactose free.

cjt110 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:11:01

Good point pixie. Damn. I doubt that can be shop bought!

dementedpixie Tue 28-Jul-15 09:20:45

You get oat milks, rice milks, etc but don't think they are suitable for that age group. If he isn't going to accept the new formula I would be tempted to try the alpro soya 1+ and see if he will take it

MrsMarigold Tue 28-Jul-15 09:23:10

My DS was on Nutramigen Lipil 2 for ages - he loved it but had it from very young. It is revolting tasting not surprised your DS isn't keen, especially if he isn't used to it. I did once hear a consultant telling another patient to mix in a little vanilla paste with it to make it taste better.

But if I were you I would go back to your GP and ask about the Aptamil Pepti Milk Powder version, I think it is more expensive for them to prescribe but tastes less vile. Also I think you can get it OTC but it is expensive.

cjt110 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:34:11

Thanks for the advice pixie and Marigold I have left a message for the GP to see what we can do. I might well try the vanilla trick if nothing else works.

Athrawes Tue 28-Jul-15 09:47:03

On the other hand, does he need any kind of milk? Mine gave up breastfeeding at 11.6mo, refused formula (although he did take it when he was BF!!) and has refused all attempts at all other milks (chocolate, full fat, low fat etc.) ever since. He has just turned 5 and seems perfectly healthy.

If your child gets their calcium from other sources (green veg, fish, tofu etc.) and fluids from water and veg do they need milk?

cjt110 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:59:37

Athrawes Thats a good suggestion but he is definitely a milk-needer(?) and drinks about a pint a day. He doesnt/wont drink water and i am loathe to introduce any type of juices.

Stubbed Tue 28-Jul-15 09:59:58

Don't stress about the milk. Look up other high calcium foods. Or go back to breastfeeding...

cjt110 Tue 28-Jul-15 10:00:49

Stubbed, I breastfed til he was 4 weeks and dont intend on going back to breastfeeding.

cjt110 Tue 28-Jul-15 11:16:47

Hurrah - the gp has prescribed another kind of milk for us - PEPTI I think she said?

MrsMarigold Tue 28-Jul-15 12:28:45

Good - fingers crossed it is palateable.

cjt110 Tue 28-Jul-15 14:04:11

MrsMarigold I hope so as the receptionist said it's the only other milk they can prescribe. Not sure what we will do if he doesnt like this either?

cjt110 Wed 29-Jul-15 09:46:44

Waxy Yep he is drinking it grin I did a 2oz C&G 4 oz pepti mix to start with which he drank and then when he woke in the night he had a 6oz pepti bottle and guzzled the lot! Hurrah! Let the milk free 3 weeks commence!

MrsMarigold Wed 29-Jul-15 11:46:31

Excellent news.

cjt110 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:25:53

UPDATE DS has now been milk free for 2 days. And his loose smelly vile 4/5 times daily nappies have become normal 2.3 times a day nappies. He has stopped being snotty and sicky. His "rash" on his tummy has also pretty much gone. So amazed at the difference in a few days. The milk he is on has got lactose in so it must be a cmp issue rather than lactose?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now