Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best washing powder for eczema prone skin?

(13 Posts)
TheLastPickleInTheJar Tue 21-Jul-15 14:48:35

Ds has terrible eczema on his torso and back. I don't now whether he's sensitive to washing powders but i'd like to do anything i can to help him. Is there a washing powder that is especially gentle on sensitive skin? I currently use Fairy. Is liquid better than powder? I don't use softener.

wonkylegs Tue 21-Jul-15 15:33:03

With DHs we have found Persil non bio powder is the best but use as little as you can get away with - I usually use a small scoop for a full load and make sure your machine has a good rinse cycle. I used the same in MILs machine and he got a reaction, so had to wash again in clean water.

Minithemoocher Tue 21-Jul-15 15:41:52

I use ecover.

PosterEh Tue 21-Jul-15 15:49:03

I use fairy but give it a second rinse (option on machine). I recently tried some bio and it did cause ds and my eczema to flare up a bit.
Personally I prefer powder because I think it washes out better.

I'm a bit evangelical about it at the moment but I'm finding that avoiding a preservative called methylisothiazolinone is really helping the eczema on my hands.

AyeUpCocker Fri 24-Jul-15 08:03:47

Thanks. I'll start doing the extra rinse on ds' things. It does make sense to do that.

PartyFops Fri 24-Jul-15 08:11:24

Surcare. It's also cheap!

chloesmumtoo Fri 24-Jul-15 21:46:37

My DD has always suffered eczema too and we have always use surecare. I prefer the liquid as found the powder did not dissolve so well in cool washes but have not tried the powder for years so may be different now.

chloesmumtoo Fri 24-Jul-15 21:52:54

Does he have hayfever? The reason I ask is our DD Suffers in the pollen season so I tumble dry towels and dry her clothes indoors. It just saves the pollens sticking on the fabrics and then re aggregating their skin after a shower or eg going to bed in pollen covered pj's. DD gets particularly bad if she sits on grass or does P.E. on the sports field.

FabulousFudge Sat 25-Jul-15 00:41:08

Surcare or Ecover

TheLastPickleInTheJar Sat 25-Jul-15 07:18:13

I just bought some Surcare so I'll see how we get on with that.

I don't know if he his hayfever as he's only 6 months. The rest of us do though so he probably will! I also tumble dry everything instead of drying outside. It seems such a waste of energy in a lovely sunny day but it's necessary to keep the pollen at bay.

chloesmumtoo Sat 25-Jul-15 08:45:17

Bless, he's only a little one then! Hope the surecare helps, sounds like your doing the right things x smile

GobblersKnob Sat 25-Jul-15 08:50:54

Method is also fab smile

TheLastPickleInTheJar Sun 26-Jul-15 22:52:34

He is only little and it's horrible to see his beautiful skin covered in dry, sore looking patches. It seems to be affecting his sleep too - he frantically inches for much of the night. I feel so sorry for him sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now