Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cow's milk allergy in baby - how long for symptoms to subside?

(9 Posts)
welovetheolympics Fri 17-Jul-15 18:36:32

My 3 month old DD has had bad hives all over her face and body flaring up several times a day for the past week. It's mainly after a feed but can happen anytime. It started a couple of hours after her first real drink of formula (she is breast fed and had only has very small amounts of formula when a tiny baby, none for at least 6 weeks). We suspected cow's milk allergy and the GP agreed, prescribing special formula and telling me to go dairy free. I've done that since Monday and also cut out soya products over last day or so too as there was no improvement. But the hives keep coming - is this normal? How long does it take for symptoms to stop after going dairy free? I'm happy to change my diet if it really is cows milk allergy (though dreading it a bit) but am getting less certain that it the problem. Any experiences to share would gratefully received! Thanks.

bananaandcustard Fri 17-Jul-15 23:09:10

what medical advice have you been given?

welovetheolympics Sat 18-Jul-15 07:21:29

GP doesn't seem much of expert but has assumed it is cows milk allergy though haven't had a clear answer on how long it should take for hives to stop. She referred to nutritionist which is helpful for weaning advice, (couple of weeks wait) but should I push for tests to determine cause of allergy? She felt was no need. Just concerned no improvement but maybe this is normal.

Ottosaurus Sat 18-Jul-15 07:36:12

It took 4 weeks for my baby to improve, however out consultant advised us to remove the four main allergens to get a 'clean' diet then reintroduce once he was well.

You need to ask for a referral to a paediatrician to get help as these would be able to carry out skin prick tests for you, however this will only show and iGe reaction and not a delayed one...

Have you been given and antihistamine to help with the hives in the short term?

I would see if you could pop back to get a referral.

welovetheolympics Sat 18-Jul-15 08:18:20

Thanks Ottosaurus for the advice, looks like I should go back to doc then. GP checked and said couldn't give antihistamine as she was under one. Just to clarify the 'clean diet' was for you breastfeeding - that would involve removing wheat as well? I was wondering about that. What did you eat!? Not used to checking all ingredients - everything seems to have milk or soya products in. It's a lot to get your head around!

Chocolateorangegirl Sat 18-Jul-15 09:01:43

She can have piriton- has to be prescribed. Trust me I know!- my dd has been having it since about 3/12 for CMPA.
They need to check a children's BNF.
Def needs referring to a paediatrician and dieticians at your local hospital.
Good luck.

melonribena Sat 18-Jul-15 09:18:23

My ds was diagnosed with cmpa at 6 months when he had a hive reaction to baby porridge made with bm.

The doctor prescribed an antihistamine that we carried everywhere with us and cleared up any hives.

We both cut out dairy from then on and the hive reactions were less after 2 weeks.

I would push for a dietician referral, and also find out when you can have proper allergy testing done. For us it was 1 year but I know other authorities who have had it done before.

In our case,ds was diagnosed at 1 year old with a cows milk and egg allergy but when he was tested again at 2 he had grown out of both. We did a milk introduction programme that worked brilliantly and is something to ask the dietician for.

The antihistamine allowed me to get peace of mind when weaning and giving ds food out and about. Good luck!

melonribena Sat 18-Jul-15 09:20:09

Your child may not be allergic to soya, worth finding out as I drank soya milk and so did ds on porridge, etc.

Ottosaurus Sat 18-Jul-15 16:38:45

Hi,

Yes I have all gluten, dairy, egg, soya & the nightshade family removed from my diet for breastfeeding, it's hard but with the warmer weather I have a lot of salad! Gluten free pasta with olive oil and basil works for me too as does a nice steak and sweet potato fries! It is hard at first but you quickly get used to it...
My problem now is I'm addicted to sugar as I feel like I need a treat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now