Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Possible to only discover cows milk allergy at 1yr?

(7 Posts)
firsttimekat Wed 15-Jul-15 08:50:07

DS is just 1yr and have just dropped breast feeds in the day, but still feed at night and first thing (and during the night as he is a dreadful sleeper). I've been replacing other feeds with cows milk in a cup which he was a bit slow to take to, but finally started to get the hang of. This morning after managing quite a bit of cup milk he has red patches round his mouth.

DH wondered if it was a mild allergic reaction to the cows milk as he'd had nothing else at that point. Is it possible we've not picked it up so far? He has never had bottles (bottle refuser and I was happy bf), but he has had cows milk in porridge and cheese and yogurts etc since 6months.

He has a allergy to eggs and maybe sesame, we have bloods being taken next to kick off the allergy testing, should I be asking them to check for cows milk? It isn't currently on this list of things they are going to test.

Also what milk do you give your 1yr old? Think my supply has pretty much gone now so need something else and don't know where to begin!

dairyfreebabyandme Wed 15-Jul-15 14:10:57

Is it the first time he's had pure cow's milk? All those other examples porridge etc. the milk has been heat treated in some way (granted not for long in the porridge) cheese, yogurt and baked milk are all better tolerated than just milk on it's own. Personally, I'd get them to check for cow's milk too, just to be on the safe side.

dairyfreequeen Wed 15-Jul-15 20:33:21

sounds possible, bear in mind tests can give false negatives too. Oat, Almond, hemp and coconut milks are all acceptable milk replacements,and are fortified with calcium if you dont buy the organic versions. Rice milk isnt suitable for under 5s

firsttimekat Wed 15-Jul-15 21:32:16

We've been giving milk in a cup for about a month but he has only just started drinking any quantity of it. He has had a random rash for about a week which I thought was heat rash but maybe it's connected.

I didn't know that about processed milk, so thanks for that.

Thanks for the alternatives as well, this is all new to me.

How do false negatives work? Didn't know that was possible. Will get it added to the tests next week but worried now that we aren't going to pick stuff up and get to the bottom of thingshmm

dairyfreequeen Thu 16-Jul-15 10:43:51

im not too sure about the testing tbh, we're not at that stage yet but im on a support group on fb through 'cows milk allergy protein support', which is afab group for allergies in general. Lots of people on there seem to have had false negatives for milk, which must complicate things.

firsttimekat Thu 16-Jul-15 14:30:30

Thanks I'll check out the group

trixymalixy Fri 17-Jul-15 21:34:40

Allergies can appear at any time. DS had humous many many times before ending up at a&e with a bad allergic reaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now