Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Avoiding pineapple

(3 Posts)
Juniper44 Tue 07-Jul-15 14:41:59

DD (21 months) has just been diagnosed as allergic to pineapple, based on her symptoms rather than any blood tests / skin prick etc. GP doesn't want to do any testing as he said the results are unreliable at this age, and taking blood is traumatic when it would only tell us what we already know.

Anyway. We have piriton for her and, when she reacted last Friday, it did the job pretty quickly. Her airway was fine so she didn't need A&E.

My question is, what foods do I need to be on the look out for? Obviously we'll be avoiding pineapple itself, but are there any foods that may contain pineapple that I wouldn't assume did? Or any other foods that might also cause a reaction?

Thanks.

ppeatfruit Tue 07-Jul-15 15:08:58

Apart from those mixed fruit salads, fresh and tinned, and maybe sweets but you wouldn't give her those would you? I'd just be careful with all foods and watch her reactions, so try to give her not many foods at one time so you can tell what's causing any reaction.

GrumbelinaPicklebottom Tue 07-Jul-15 19:42:56

Bromelain is an enzyme derived from pineapples, and is used as a meat tenderiser. It may have some other uses too.

You may have to be careful buying meat products, spice mixes and potentially when eating out, et al. It may be worth contacting Allergy UK for advice, if you haven't already...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now