Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Preparing for initial GP appointment

(6 Posts)
Pleasemrstweedie Mon 06-Jul-15 09:45:10

I’ve had allergy problems of one sort or another for about ten years. I did try and sort them out through my GP back in 2006, but all I got was a referral to a dermatologist who could not help. I then left things , but in the last twelve months my symptoms have got so much worse that it’s affecting my daily life and my work. I am now reluctant to eat outside the house and carry anti-histamine and Immodium with me at all times. I’ve got a GP appointment this afternoon and DH thinks she will just tell me I am depressed! I am looking for a referral to the allergy clinic in Birmingham. How to I prepare for this appointment to get the most out of it? Thanks

Iloveonionchutney Mon 06-Jul-15 11:38:14

We recently suspected my daughter had allergies and they could do test for some foodstuff with a blood test. I think as long as you explain that you are having reactions and you would like allergy tests they should refer you.

Pleasemrstweedie Mon 06-Jul-15 20:11:12

Well that didn't work! She listened to all my symptoms, looked in my mouth, inspected my eczema, palpated my abdomen, told me there were no grounds for referral to the allergy clinic and wants me to go for a blood test for diabetes and 'to rule out' bowel cancer!

Not what I was hoping for.

tinkerbellvspredator Mon 06-Jul-15 22:35:10

As you mention immodium and eczema, is dermatitis herpetiformis and coeliac a possibility?

Pleasemrstweedie Tue 07-Jul-15 07:49:57

It is, but she can't test me for coeliac because I don't eat enough gluten at the moment, have been basically GF for five years.

Pleasemrstweedie Sat 09-Jan-16 19:28:09

Fast forward six months and things are getting worse.

I've just passed my NHS 'poo on a stick test' which is good, but I'm in all sorts of trouble otherwise.

At the moment, my skin is fine, but I am still having wheezing episodes when faced with household chemicals like cleaners and air freshener, spontaneous reactions of coughing, sneezing and streaming eyes that I can't pin to anything, and sudden, dramatic episodes of diarrhoea. I don't feel ill with the diarrhoea, but it is sudden and dramatic. Far TMI, but this morning's breakfast is already out if my system after I had to abort a shopping expedition this afternoon and run for home.

I need to go back and see the doc, but it was so spectacularly unsuccessful last time that I feel I need some tips. Can anyone help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now