Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Multiple nosebleeds

(5 Posts)
Silverturnip Fri 03-Jul-15 07:44:10

DS has nosebleeds due to hayfever. We have had another terrible night yet again where he is up at least twice with them. He can have anywhere from three to six nosebleeds a day.
I get to the point I'm at now every year go to the doctors and get fobbed off. We have been told to take nasal sprays, then another doctor says don't use them as they make things worse. Been told that ENT wouldn't be able to do anything as its an allergy thing.
Just feel so much for DS as he's knackered at this time of year and feel like there is no help. Anyone had similar experiences?

Slacktacular Fri 03-Jul-15 07:58:31

IIRC the steroid based nasal sprays can make you more prone to nosebleeds over time as they weaken the walls of the delicate capillaries inside the nostrils. It can be worse still in the hot weather when our blood vessels all dilate to help cool us down.
I had the exact same problem when I was about 7, and I agree it's horrid. It's embarrassing, messy, and the nosebleeds used to make me feel quite sick, even though I was always helped very well by adults who encouraged me not to swallow the blood. In the end the GP referred me to local ENT service where they cauterised the offending weak vessels - very quick and virtually painless. Problem solved instantly, and I've never had regular nosebleeds since. Sounds a bit like you're being fobbed rather by the GP, which is always distressing when your child is going through something sad.

Silverturnip Fri 03-Jul-15 17:07:50

After another trip to GP today I was expecting to have to demand a referral to ENT this GP was more than willing to refer, however he was going to prescribe nasal sprays again but when I questioned him about the steroid use he then didn't prescribe them. confused

pilates Fri 03-Jul-15 17:18:17

I suffered from nosebleeds as a child and I had my nose cauterised which seemed to sort it out.

Slacktacular Fri 03-Jul-15 19:39:27

Great - sounds like a good outcome Silver. Hope your DS feels much better soon. Hayfever is miserable enough without turning it into a horror show with nosebleeds!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now